Talk

Advanced search

He's here! And he is such a gentleman

(20 Posts)
Ormirian Mon 04-Jul-11 12:54:10

Gentle, well-behaved and affectionate.

We have had a few things chewed but nothing important. His manners appear to desert him when he comes across the cats though sad . We are coping with a series of barriers and feeding the cats in the shed with a window open and the door shut! I am working on it though - managed to get one of the cats to sit on the work top while I stroked her and got him to sit quietly and look at her and i rewarded him with treats for being calm. In the end she bottled it and ran but he didn't chase her even though you could tell he was sorely tempted. Just hope the poor mogs stick around long enough for the training to finish.

Not had to leave him for work yet - but he stays in the dining room quite happily all night with no barking or whining. And I left him in the car (in the shade, doors locked, windows slightly open) for about 10 mins while I dropped DS2 at school this morning and he was fine.

Feeling quite optimistic. Pictures in profile. Difficult to take any really good ones as he wouldn't let me get far enough away to take them! grin

Jennytailia Mon 04-Jul-11 12:58:40

Awwww he's lovely. What's his name? I'm sorry I don't really know your story, is he a rescue?

AllTheYoungDoods Mon 04-Jul-11 12:59:27

Yay, well done you grin!

Ormirian Mon 04-Jul-11 13:04:29

Yes. he's a rescue. 11m old called Harley.

We discovered that he is a lab x collie x staffie - we didnt know about the staffie bit but I think you can see it in his face shape - like a wider collie face. But he's such a sweetheart. We had a busy weekend because DB and DN were here and he was friendly and polite to everyone quite happily playing with everyone. He met several dogs and was OK.

Ormirian Mon 04-Jul-11 13:13:04

And as a bonus my eldest son will be losing his incipient flab in no time! We did a 4 mile walk on Saturday and another 3 mile one on Sunday. He's not moved that far willingly without there being a skateboard park or a games shop at the other end since he was about 9 years old grin

Elibean Mon 04-Jul-11 13:28:32

He's a poppet!! Just my kind of doggy smile

Lucky you, well done - and good luck with the cat/dog training. He's only just got there, bet he'll get used to them and vice versa. Lovely, lovely Harley - was great following your whole story through from when you first saw him to now! Hopefully will help us do the same (obviously not with Harley grin) in the autumn...

RedwingWinter Mon 04-Jul-11 16:30:25

What a lovely dog!

Ormirian Mon 04-Jul-11 16:51:15

Thankyou smile

I have just realised I have exposed my horrible inherited pub carpet to the scorn of MN too grin

Elibean Mon 04-Jul-11 17:25:14

Who is going to look at a carpet anyway, when they have handsome Harley to focus on?

I certainly didn't notice it. But now you've posted that, I might have to go back and have a look wink

Ormirian Mon 04-Jul-11 18:44:42

Enjoy! grin

It is better than it looks as it has other colours than brown in it. But it is going just as soon as we can get our lovely original ceramic floor tiles fixed and sealed.

coccyx Mon 04-Jul-11 20:00:43

glad it is going well

Ormirian Tue 05-Jul-11 11:00:19

Fingers crossed all will be well today. We're all out and H is ALONE! Someone will pop back at lunchtime to let him out for a run and feed him. Hoping we don't come back to mutinous neighbours and an entirely chewed dining room...

Ormirian Tue 05-Jul-11 15:59:58

Hmmm....... DH didn't hear any barking when he went home and the neighbours haven't banged on the door about mad constant howling ...but....he hasn't eaten the arm of the sofa in the dining room hmm

DH said he looked very ashamed of himself.

Thing is I hate that sofa (inheritance from aunt) so I don't care that much but I will care if he starts on the dining chairs or any of the books!

So the question is this. Do we leave him outside instead of in the dining room? There is a second garage that he can get into if it rains. The garden is totally secure. Would that be a better option?

DooinMeCleanin Tue 05-Jul-11 17:04:16

No, don't leave him outside without shelter. It's far too hot in this weather. Dogs can get heatstroke and sunburn just as easily, if not more so than people.

Can you crate train him? Crates are a god send. Most dogs love them. Or put him in a room with less things he could damage?

Ormirian Tue 05-Jul-11 19:59:00

Dooin - as I said in last post he has a garage he can get into it so he has shelter. I don't want to crate him for that long - he's only had it for 2 days so not used to it yet.

misdee Tue 05-Jul-11 20:17:55

i'd go for crate.

i would leave him in a garden, even with available shelter if no-one is in.

dogs dig

and climb

and people pinch them.

misdee Tue 05-Jul-11 20:18:15

i eamtn i WOULDNT leave him in a garden

Ormirian Tue 05-Jul-11 20:39:51

OK. Message received! grin

Any suggestions to stop him chewing? <hopeful>

misdee Tue 05-Jul-11 20:46:24

kongs!

exercise and mental stinmilation.

ehuast the boy and then he wont want to chew. now toom has gone, ralph is getting so much attention, walks, training etc that he hasnt chewed a wall in weeks.

Ormirian Tue 05-Jul-11 21:00:16

Thanks misdee!

He has walked on average about 6 miles a day so far grin I guess the being alone thing needs getting used to and DH didn't make it home for lunch today (he, DD or DS1 will usually)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now