Talk

Advanced search

Suncream for dogs?

(7 Posts)
Jaynerae Sun 03-Jul-11 09:43:43

Beagle has long snout and it doesn't have much fur on it, it is quite pink.

We are going camping soon, and whilst I have no intention of keeping dogs out in hot sun (I am being optimistic here!) I am sure I read / heard somewhere that you should put sun block on pink areas, and if that's true can you use kids sun block or does it need to be a specific dog one?

One of our cats and one of my shelties had skin cancer when I was a child, cat had to have part of ear removed and sheltie had to be pts at 16 due to the skin cancer, so I am obviously keen to do what I can to protect my dogs.

Any thoughts?

CoffeeIsMyFriend Sun 03-Jul-11 11:12:37

have never had to do this for my animals but know people who do if they have hairless/white animals. Kids sunblock should do the trick or surfer type block.

I was looking for suncream yesterday and found Hawain Tropic "Pink Bits" which iirc is factor 50.

Whatever you get I suggest waterproof so they cant lick it off.

DoesItWearingWellies Sun 03-Jul-11 18:30:31

I have used kids sunblock but also (I think this is what Coffee meant) zinc cream/sticks that surfers and cricketers use.

Surfers zinc comes in many colours too, so if you were feeling a bit creative cruel you could always give beagle a green snout grin

CoffeeIsMyFriend Sun 03-Jul-11 20:10:46

yep, I meant zinc sticks, but I prefer my name for them 'surfer stuff' grin

Jaynerae Sun 03-Jul-11 22:32:13

Thanks for replies both, great idea, surfer stuff! Think DCs would love a green snout on Beagle. grin

2littlegreenmonkeys Mon 04-Jul-11 08:29:10

We have a white JRT/Staffie cross and have always used kids factor 50 on her. We use a spray as we found it much easier. She loves the sun and for the life of me I cannot get her to sit in a shaded part of the garden. It makes her fur go a little off colour but a good scrub in the evening should do the trick.

She is 13 now and we have done this since we got her as a puppy grin

Jaynerae Mon 04-Jul-11 09:33:49

Thanks 2LGM, have factor 50 for the DC's so could us that then.

Beagle likes to lie in the sun as well, that's on the rare occasion she keps still for more than a second! usually when she is destroying something - mind you I know if she is up to no good if she is quite!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now