Talk

Advanced search

Midge/insect repellent for dogs?

(5 Posts)

Ddog has been bitten around both eyes - by midges, we think. She's developed blister-like swellings that have reduced quite a lot when we put a cold, wet towel on them, but I'd like to be able to prevent it happening again, so I was wondering if there are any insect repellents that are safe for use on dogs. I wouldn't put it too close to her eyes, but was hoping that if it was on her head, it might stop the midgies biting her.

mdoodledoo Fri 01-Jul-11 22:22:20

How about getting one designed for horses - I squirt it onto a cloth and wipe it around my horses eyes without any problems so it'll be fine for dogs too

That's a good idea - thanks.

DoesItWearingWellies Sat 02-Jul-11 02:09:51

I too would suggest one meant for horses - Net Tex advanced fly repellent is pretty good - it's supposed to last up to 3 days from the application, but for piece of mind you might want to do it every day, however a little does go a long way! It contains DEET and some people/animals can be a bit sensitive to this, but it's definitely worth a try.

It even works on humans as my dad found out - he now swears by it grin

Thanks Does - I will look for that one.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now