Talk

Advanced search

Cats, puppies, new houses - what order?

(17 Posts)
ThunderboltKid Thu 30-Jun-11 16:25:19

We have a cat at the moment (currently a 'house' cat) and we are moving out of london to a house in the country.

I will be working from home straight away, until mid-September when I will go into London one day a week (MIL will have puppy). I'm keen to spend as much time as possible with the puppy before he/she has to start going to MIL's, so not really sure of the timings.

I was thinking: move in, give cat 2 weeks to get used to house, then get a puppy (say beginning of August) so then I have 6 weeks until I go back to work.

Our other concern is that the cat might hate the puppy so much that she leaves. Obviously we don't want this to happen! Would it be better to keep her as an indoor cat, get the puppy and work on introducing them slowly, before we start letting her out? Or is it mean to make her stay and put up with the puppy confused

DooinMeCleanin Thu 30-Jun-11 16:29:23

Have you actually found a puppy yet? Breeders usually have long waiting lists you might find that you have to wait a good few months before you can get a puppy.

ThunderboltKid Thu 30-Jun-11 16:35:11

Really? I've seen loads of adverts where puppies are available now/within the next few weeks.

But thats why I'm trying to work out what I'm doing now, so as soon as we move I can start visiting breeders.

DooinMeCleanin Thu 30-Jun-11 16:37:17

Adverts? Nooooo, no, no. Don't buy your puppy from the papers. These are backyard breeders and very possibly a front for a puppy farm. There is a very high risk that the pups parents will not have been health tested and the puppy could end up with very serious and expensive hereditary problems.

What breed of pup are you looking for and have you considered a rescue puppy?

ThunderboltKid Thu 30-Jun-11 16:50:28

When I say 'adverts' I don't mean puppy farm/gumtree type adverts. (Honestly! I've been lurking round the doghouse for months; I've been well trained smile) I mean on breeders websites, rescue notices etc

Obviously I will check parents credentials and would ensure all the health testing etc has been done as well if we go to a breeder.

Breed of pup not necessarily important (obviously we have breeds we favour over others) but something that is active, trainable, not too much of a prey instinct that it wants to eat the cat etc.

DooinMeCleanin Thu 30-Jun-11 17:52:48

Oh good. I thought you were going to go and get a pup out of your local paper for a while then grin. Sorry.

Many Tears always have lots of pups. I'd suggest you contact them, that way you get rescue back up if anything goes wrong.

Thebonkers Thu 30-Jun-11 17:57:42

I would give your cat much longer than 2 weeks to get used to the move before introducing puppy.
Our 2 cats were 2 when we moved and had a year before getting puppy.
I think you may very well be dealing with a cat leaving its home in this short window of time if you get a puppy as well.
It does kind of seem like you are rushing into things...have you had a puppy before?

ThunderboltKid Thu 30-Jun-11 18:16:21

Maybe you're right, maybe next summer would be better. So impatient though grin

Thebonkers Thu 30-Jun-11 19:38:54

Hope that didnt come across as a bit harsh - but house move and coping with cats then a puppy. I nearly had a breakdown when we got our puppy last November I had NO idea the amount of work and commitment it took and only now do the cats and dog vaguely tolerate each other and I often have to discipline the dog for harrassing them..... all in all jolly hard work...never mind throwing a house move in.

Wait I'd say then you can also take your time looking for a puppy...we took about 9 - 10months until we found one we were happy with ( ie good home/life background not puppy farm etc etc)

2T2T Thu 30-Jun-11 20:05:20

DoinMeCleanin - I heard from someone that ManyTears actually BUY puppies from puppy farms (for a very nominal fee but still............) so they are kind of advocating the puppy farm industry in a way - it did get me thinking about their ethics confused

DooinMeCleanin Thu 30-Jun-11 20:31:41

No they don't buy puppies. They take all the dogs with the help of the authorities, this is why they have so many ex-breeding bitches. They mainly rescue puppy farmed dogs from Ireland, where puppy farming is at it's worst.

chickchickchicken Thu 30-Jun-11 21:11:24

you are obviously excited and impatient just like me but the timescale does seem! too tight. i would worry about the cat not being given enough time to settle

just dont look on many tears website! i did the other day and there are loads of puppies on there (though i wasnt tempted by a puppy as been there, done that and dont want to do it ever again!) was taken with a 4yr old jrt called Story who is desperate for a home sad have 3 dogs so cannot have any more at the moment.

chickchickchicken Thu 30-Jun-11 21:12:26

seem!............didnt notice exclamation mark before i posted

Spamspamspam Fri 01-Jul-11 10:32:23

Chick - I fell in love with Story too, she was lovely, but I am sure I saw that she was reserved? Will check again....

chickchickchicken Fri 01-Jul-11 15:02:49

spam - i do hope Story is reserved. did you check?

Scuttlebutter Fri 01-Jul-11 15:24:23

Just to clarify. MT are not a registered charity, and local authorities do not get involved in their relationship with puppy farmers.

yes, they do get pups from Ireland which is a difficult issue, given that there are more than enough rescue dogs needing homes in the UK. There is no easy answer on this given the very poor welfare standards in Eire. Unfortunately Wales has a huge number of puppy farmers and in Carmarthenshire at the moment, one is putting in a planning application for a facility which will be able to have over 150 bitches. There is no need to be importing more dogs from Ireland, while pound dogs are still dying in Wales. The sustainable answer is for demand for pedigree farmed pups to drop and for Ireland to develop its own rescue/welfare infrastructure.

mdoodledoo Fri 01-Jul-11 19:50:33

Last year I moved house in February and got new puppy 1 in April and new puppy 2 in May - but my cat had spent most of her life with dogs and so I was confident that she'd adapt fine. The cat stayed broadly clear of the pups for the first few months but now she's great friends with them and snuggles up to them as soon as one of them lies down for more than 20 seconds!

You know your cat and are best placed to make a judgement about whether he/she is likely to enjoy a puppy and adapt to the change of home and energy all in one go.

Be honest with yourself and don't get swept along with the romance of a new furry bean scampering about - if you've been reading this site for more than a few days you'll know that puppies are no more than 10% romantic chocolate box image and the remaining 90% contains a load of hard blooming work!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now