Talk

Advanced search

he is getting so much better

(7 Posts)
misdee Thu 30-Jun-11 14:15:30

even a month ago, if ralp saw another dog, he would go loopy trying to get to them.

these days he will sit and wait, and 'invites' other dogs to come to him. he will be shaking top to toe in excitement, but he is waiting.

its so much calmer being out with him these days.

now to progress to transferring that to off-lead walks. hmm

misdee Thu 30-Jun-11 14:16:37

oooo and another dog walker commented today on how good ralph was, sitting waiting, as his loopy dog went past whilst pulling his owners arm off by pulling at the lead to get to ralph to say hello.

DooinMeCleanin Thu 30-Jun-11 14:39:45

That's brilliant Misdee. Well done to you and Ralph.

misdee Thu 30-Jun-11 15:47:50

i have just looked at getting a dog walker for that one day in the week where its manic at home.

kid Thu 30-Jun-11 20:59:05

sounds like things are going really well.
So pleased everything has worked out well for you and Ralph. Can you share the secret on getting him to sit and invite dogs?
My loopy springer will drag me to any dog he sees, but I am stronger than him but only just!

misdee Thu 30-Jun-11 21:34:39

lots of treats, and sitting and watching other dogs. i always keep him on my left, so there is a hedge/wall, ralph then me between the other dogs. lots of praise and freezedried lamb treats.

when in open space its a bit harder, but just getting him to sit and stay is good. i think those two commands work well in a lot of situations.

he is a proud dog, and sits up all important so other dogs come to him. i think he think he is king lol.

kid Thu 30-Jun-11 21:45:17

When I had a huge problem of my dog jumping up at people, I did use that trick of getting him to sit until they had passed and giving him treats. Nowadays, he jumps at people randomly so I never know if or when he is going to do it.

I will certainly try and get him to sit when other dogs pass us as our current way of getting past other dogs isn't working too well. I literally drag him, at least his nails get worn down in the process!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now