Talk

Advanced search

Looking at rehoming a dog and want to know how much more difficult is it to rehome a pair?

(11 Posts)
2T2T Thu 30-Jun-11 12:25:27

Just wondering as there are a fair few pairs of dogs to be rehomed. Is it easier? More difficult? What are the pros and cons? Just in case wink

2T2T Thu 30-Jun-11 12:26:01

Just to clarify...... rehoming as in taking them in not giving them away

Scuttlebutter Thu 30-Jun-11 12:33:14

Pros and cons are similar for anybody who has two rather than one dog - costs, feed, vets bills, insurance, bigger transport etc. Benefits will be if they are inseperable will be very much happier together and more likely to settle. Also depends on how good on hte lead they are initially and how many pairs of hands you have. Not easy to walk two untrained dogs singlehanded. I sometimes get tangled (we call it greyhound knitting grin) with our three when walking them solo, even though they are very good on the lead.

2T2T Thu 30-Jun-11 12:56:23

Thanks scuttle - are they more difficult to get to know iyswim? ie. if they are in a pair are they likely to be less dependent on human company? I would only rehome small - med sized dogs but am jsut weighing up all the options. Also, wondering if two would terrorise my cat byu joining forces or maybe this would not be an issue as they could play together confused. I guess it could be a problem with dog sitters or taking them to peoples houses. People are prob more likely to welcome one og into their home rather than two hmm. Just mulling things over really

Scuttlebutter Thu 30-Jun-11 14:05:58

It depends. Lots of dog walkers are happy to take two, especially if they are good on a lead. When visiting, depends on who you are going to see, and how the dogs behave!! I wouldn't take ANY dogs to see my 94 year old great aunt, (even though she likes them) as I'd be terrified of an accident but our threee nephews love seeing all the dogs. Our ILs, to my great surprise, are also big fans. I'd say that if the dogs concerned were an "item" that had been together for a while, that you'd be more likely to bond well with them as they'd be happy and settled - can't imagine a more miserable situation than a dog seperated from its much loved companion, and fretting terribly - not a good recipe for a happy homing. I'd say that two, small, well behaved dogs would probably be welcome most places (subject of course to usual caveats on allergies etc) - two small horrors not so welcome! grin

To be honest, we didn't find that much difference going from 1 to 2 - but a huge difference going from 2 to 3 - that's really when it becomes a logistical exercise, needs a big car, etc.

This is one of those questions where it's really hard to generalise as so much depends on the characters and behaviour of the individual dogs concerned - sorry!

coccyx Thu 30-Jun-11 18:19:38

We have always had 2 dogs. I like the fact they have each other when we are out!
Think its great if you can give a home to an established pair

2T2T Thu 30-Jun-11 19:01:43

hmm- definitely good food for thought. Ta! I have seena gorgeous pair on a rescue site - I don't have a very big garden though so that is a consideration. What am I saying! I haven't even been asked for a home check grin

chickchickchicken Thu 30-Jun-11 21:05:22

if the pair are currently together and get on well i would rehome a pair. i still think they will bond with you but it will make it easier for them to settle and they will have company when you go out.

although this wouldnt put me off it is best to think about cost, training, double poo ewww, holidays (all the places we go to accept 2/3 dogs but think some only accept one), a dog walker will walk more than one but some charge half the price again for the second dog

2T2T Thu 30-Jun-11 22:07:14

chick - thanks for post. I am not put off by cost etc. as i have factored that in when considering options. My main concern would be that I want a dog who is part of our family not self sufficient because they have a canine buddy! - if htat makes any sense! I do think that it would be great to have two so they are never lonely but I had not considered that they would both need to be good on a lead - walks could be hellish with leads criss crossing at my feet! Hmmmm - maybe I need to get one first an then maybe progress to two. Trouble is, this pair look so beautiful, I'm a little bit in love!

chickchickchicken Thu 30-Jun-11 22:25:07

i can understand your concern but i do think even a pair of dogs will still be a big part of your family. i've got 3 dogs. 2 of them love playing with each other but still like snuggling up to me and are very affectionate with humans. i did worry that i wouldnt love dog no 2 as much as dog no 1 but you just love them differently

with a bit of training it is easy to walk two dogs on lead. you can have one in each hand and keep them on separate sides so leads dont tangle? i walk 3 on the lead - my oldie is on one side and the two younger ones on the other side. leads have never got tangled as they all walk nicely. ds likes using one of those split lead things when he walks them so he only has one lead to hold. i dont like them as dogs seem to be more in front rather than to the side but he prefers it as it means only one lead to hold. they cant get tangled with one of those

2T2T Thu 30-Jun-11 22:36:20

thanks chickchick - am just off to bed to ponder. I can definitely see myself with more than one dog........ just need to sort out practicalities. thank you for your help - night night

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now