Talk

Advanced search

rescue dog pregnant. Help!

(7 Posts)
theothermrsclooney Thu 30-Jun-11 12:00:18

We got a 3yo Bichon Frise britch from an independent rescue centre 5 wks ago. She had been bought in with 2 other bitches and a litter and although the centre could give us little info it was obvious she had recently had puppies and they suggested all 3 adults had been bred from. We took her to our vets for jabs and a check even though a vet had checked her at the centre and declared her healthy. Our vet suggested she may be pregnant but we discounted it as she has very recently had a litter. She went for her booster jabs yesterday and it seems she is pregnant.

What to do next? We have 2 DCs, the youngest is only just 3 and the thought of 2 puppies over the summer hols is freaking me out! We have no intention of taking her back to the centre (as some friends have suggested!), she's a lovely dog and has grown so much in confidence over the past couple of weeks. We don't have much spare cash and the thought of escalating vets bills isn't helping.

Ok deep breath, can someone please help with practical steps we should take in preparation for the birth and puppies?

yearningforthesun Thu 30-Jun-11 12:08:21

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

chickchickchicken Thu 30-Jun-11 12:11:01

i recommend you contact the rescue centre straightaway. they should be able to help with vet bills/vet care and give you all the practical information you need. i am very glad you are keeping the dog and shocked at friends suggesting you take her back. the rescue centre then have the puppies back when they are ready to leave mum and they can rehome from there to ensure pups go to homechecked homes and future owners have a lifeline of rescue taking pups back should such a situation arise

Scuttlebutter Thu 30-Jun-11 12:19:10

You need to talk to both your vet and the rescue urgently.

Your vet can advise on whether late abortion is practical and desirable and if this can be combined with spaying.

Which rescue is this dog from? It is extremely unusual for a rescue to allow an un-spayed bitch to be rehomed - did you undertake to have her neutered on homing? It's also very odd for a dog not to have had it's shots before homing. Is she chipped?

Given that the bitch is pregnant, I'd be talking urgently to the rescue about what financial help they can give you to meet vets bills incurred during the pregnancy, (which could be quite considerable, especially if labour is complex or if a C section is needed) and what they can do to offer homes for the pups in due course.

If you do decide to go ahead with the pregnancy, then you need to talk again to your vet about the worming, feeding etc that your bitch will need, and read some of the many threads on here about whelping. There are a number of books that can help, and posters such as MIdori and a few others who are experienced with whelping/pups.

I am sorry to say this, but it sounds as though this bitch has come from a puppy farm or irresponsible breeder - they are often bred from very quickly. If your vet advised a pregnancy was likely, good to take this advice seriously, and act on it quickly. The rescue should also be informed, as it's likely that the other bitches if un-neuterred are now with potentially unaware homes.

theothermrsclooney Thu 30-Jun-11 20:17:27

Thanks for your suggestions. DH has spoken to the rescue centre who have suggested they take her back for the birth and until the puppies are ready to be re-homed after which she can come back to us. We're not sure if we like this option as she has really settled with us and the shelter is more than an hour drive away. He didn't ask about a contribution to vet costs so will call back tomorrow.

"yearningforthesun" I feel we may end up doing the same as you.

theothermrsclooney Thu 30-Jun-11 21:24:03

DH and i have been talking and he is considering taking the centre up on the suggestion of them taking her in for the birth and weaning. I'm not sure - she is so much more confident and settled now (and spoilt as she is led on her back asleep on her beanbag) would it not just be a big backward step for her?

joeysk9 Wed 06-Jul-11 16:49:08

Hi there,
Just read your thread...did you take the dog back?
I have weaned many foster litters through rescues, if you need any help, just shout!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now