Talk

Advanced search

Senile and incontinent - so upset.

(7 Posts)
doglover Wed 29-Jun-11 21:55:25

One of our labs has been getting more and more infirm since Xmas. He's had different types of tablets to boost blood flow to the brain but they've had no effect on his general behaviour and dual incontinence. We love him to bits but are getting so downhearted about the changes in him which the vet has said are irreversible. He still knows us, eats and likes a potter on a walk but I feel so sad. When does one say that 'enough is enough'? sad

doglover Wed 29-Jun-11 22:37:32

Off to bed now. Any replies would be warmly welcomed.

Happymm Wed 29-Jun-11 22:46:14

Don't know what to say as no experience of this, but big ((((((hug)))))) though I know that's not allowed,x

Scuttlebutter Wed 29-Jun-11 22:52:23

Doglover, so sorry to hear this. A vet in America has developed a very helpful Quality of Life scale for dogs and cats, which is called the HHHMMM scale - see link here

It goes through the issues to think about at the end of life in a very helpful systematic way, and may help you to assess the situation and the way ahead.

doglover Thu 30-Jun-11 17:31:59

I really appreciate your replies - thank you so much. I'll read the HHHMMM scale later this evening - am frantically tidying and cooking for friends tonight!! Will report back later.

3cutedarlings Thu 30-Jun-11 18:47:32

Aww bless you! sad i know exactly what you are going through more or less the exact same thing happened to my dear old labby, i decided to just take each day as it can, the continence problems were drawing at times but she was really to senile to actually care, so we just plodded on. One morning there was mess everywhere and the look on her little face sad she was embarrassed!! it was the first time she has shown any embarrassment, i knew then that, enough was enough and we said goodnight to her later that day.

He'll let you know when he's ready, take it day by day, you will just know when the time is right.

doglover Thu 30-Jun-11 22:18:53

Thanks so much, 3CD. You obviously understand the dilemma and how much we love the old boy. We're not at that point to make any decisions yet but know that moment is looking. He's had a wonderful life and we will alwyas put his wellbeing first - it's so sad to him as a shadow of his former self. I had some friends around for dinner (all 'doggy' pals) and they were all quitre shocked to see his deterioation: the poo all over the lounge carpet was a talking point, too!! I really appreciate your taking the the trouble to reply.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now