Advanced search

How to deal with snapping

(16 Posts)
D0G Wed 29-Jun-11 10:48:29

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

D0G Wed 29-Jun-11 10:49:19

BooyHoo Wed 29-Jun-11 10:52:48

firstly, if he is in his bed, no-one should be bothering him. his bed is his safe haven and whilst he definitely shouldn't be snapping, people really shouldn't be stroking him if he has taken himself off there to get away from family life. dog's need to have a space that is just theirs. my dcs are not allowed anywhere near the area that my dog sleeps or rests in. it is his 'room' just as much as you have your room and dont liek to be disturbed when you want to rest or get some down time.

WRT the snapping when the DC approach you, he is claiming you as his possesion and warning the dcs not to come near. if you are sitting and he does this, then put him straight on teh floor and he is only to come back up when YOU invite him. any snapping and he goes straight back down.

fruitshootsandheaves Wed 29-Jun-11 10:53:36

I wouldn't try to stroke him in his bed tbh. That should be his place where he can go and not be disturbed.
As for the other snapping it does sound as though he is guarding you a bit. Don't let him sit next to you on chairs/ sofa etc. I think they are a breed with a tendency to be a bit snappy but i don't know the breed well so that could just be the ones i meet!
On the other hand he may just be testing the water, as you haven't had him long to see what he can get away with. if you a consistent with the 'no' and removing him he should get the message that snapping is not acceptable.

Bast Wed 29-Jun-11 10:55:22

Don't let him sit next to you, remove his bed. He can not be allowed to think he has any need or right to behave in this way.

If I'd had a problem with guarding in the past, I've removed the triggers and used 'no' and shunning, like you.

When my dogs started guarding their bones from each other, I removed all the bones from the garden until they'd learned to share nicely wink

Bast Wed 29-Jun-11 10:58:37

If a dog (particularly a small breed) was guarding their bed, I'd remove it regardless and substitute for a stair-gate in an appropriate doorway, to ensure they could have that safe space, without defining a specific item for them to lay claim to and guard.

D0G Wed 29-Jun-11 10:59:38

D0G Wed 29-Jun-11 11:00:47

BooyHoo Wed 29-Jun-11 11:10:47

NOBODY should be touching him in his bed!! not even adults. it is his safe place. end of, taht meas he should be able to go there and know that NO-ONE will approach him there.

i tell my dcs to call my dog gently before approaching him so that he is alerted to their presence. even moving slowly can be startling if tehy touch him and he had his back turned, he doesn't know that they were moving slowly, just that all of a sudden he was touched.

D0G Wed 29-Jun-11 11:15:53

BooyHoo Wed 29-Jun-11 11:19:29

ah right yes, i get you now. you could try the cage, but it isn't a case of just putting him in it. you will need to crate train him, which IMO is worth doing even if you aren't using it for a bed. it is very useful to have him crate trained just incase you ever need to contain him for any reason.

D0G Wed 29-Jun-11 11:22:18

BooyHoo Wed 29-Jun-11 11:29:20

well he has only been with you a week so he will still be transitioning. and it will take a while before he knows what teh rules are in his new home. from your point of view i think you should all sit down as a family and decide whjat those rules are and make sure everyone knows them and sticks to them so tehre is no mixed messages. for example. dogs are never allowed on teh sofa in my house. this rule is never relaxed because i dont want WB to get confused and be unsure of what he's allowed to do. also, teh dcs know never ever to approach him without asking me first and tehy aren't allowed anywhere enar his area. thsi rule will not be relaxed either.

these are a couple of links you might find useful to help you settle with him

here

here

D0G Wed 29-Jun-11 11:40:44

BooyHoo Wed 29-Jun-11 11:44:14

if you put in teh work then you can have that. pets are liek chidlren in that tehy are all different and no one follows a textbook WRT how they behave. but if you do the important stuff right then teh little behaviours will eb asier to manage. tehre will always be little things that crop up from time to time but overall, teh effort you put in to training and caring for him will be repaid tenfold. it really is so important to do it all though.

D0G Wed 29-Jun-11 22:13:49

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now