Advanced search

Any vets around need some advice

(6 Posts)
cedmonds Mon 27-Jun-11 21:37:22

I have a 5 month old border collie she has been in contact with kennel cough 3 dogs have it that she sees every day. She has had the kennelcough vaccine. She has been coughing but not bringing up any froth or very baddly. Her temp is slightly high and she has hot ears and panting, but this could be as it is so hot??She has slighlty less energy but is eating well. Do you think she should see the vet tomorrow or just wait and see. She has been coughing on and off for about a week and a half.

Kvetch Mon 27-Jun-11 22:11:33

I'm not a vet so the best I can do as a dog owner is say yes, take her to the vet, I would. Hopefully this will bump your post for one of the vets to spot.

I hope pooch is well again very soon.

fruitshootsandheaves Mon 27-Jun-11 22:13:35

IIRC they don't bring anything up. Kennel cough is similar to a human cold so there are lots of strains of it. The raised temperature is a symptom too. i would take her to the vet
I'm not a vet either so feel free to ignore me!

Onlyaphase Mon 27-Jun-11 22:13:48

Warn the vet why you are coming in - our vets want to see the dog in the car if they have a cough, in case it is kennel cough when they don't want it spreading round the entire waiting room.

I'm sure you knew this already, but it didn't occur to me until I had to take one of our dogs in for a cough recently.

alice15 Mon 27-Jun-11 22:19:25

I am a vet. There are lots of different types of kennel cough, caused by different viruses and bacteria, and the vaccine only protects against one of them. It's rare for kennel cough to be serious, but as with respiratory infections in people, it's more likely to be a problem in the very young and the very old.
If the cough has been going on for 10 days, and she has less energy, I think it would be wise to take her to the vet unless she is clearly coughing less than she was and starting to improve. After 10 days, I think you have tried waiting and seeing! The cough often drags on for a while, but at this stage it would be wise to check she doesn't have any chest problems as a result - very rarely, it can cause other problems such as pneumonia. Also, it might not be kennel cough - it probably is, since she was in contact with other coughing dogs, but there are other possibilities, such as lungworm. In puppies which have been coughing for a long time, I do quite often end up needing to give antibiotics, because sometimes they do find it very hard to shift on their own - but obviously your vet can assess the situation in your case.

cedmonds Tue 28-Jun-11 10:13:26

Hi thanks for the replys. The vet saw her and said its prob viral so hasnt given her antibiotics. She has a bit more engery today. So will wait and see.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: