Talk

Advanced search

how are all the dogs fairing in this heat?

(19 Posts)
ditavonteesed Mon 27-Jun-11 17:54:16

cherry has been totally flaked out all day, cant decide whether to take her to training or not tonight.

DooinMeCleanin Mon 27-Jun-11 17:57:46

The devil dog is the model dog. It's like he's been swapped for a well trained mutt grin. I heart summer.

I cut his walks down and tend to stay in woody areas where it shadier. He gets his 'big' walk on a night.

I'd still go to training. Exercise and training are still important, just to be sure to give extra water and and cut back on any running.

Empusa Mon 27-Jun-11 17:59:12

Not so well, he looks shattered and his throat sounds awful. Keep feeding him ice cubes!

CoffeeIsMyFriend Mon 27-Jun-11 18:02:55

just back from taking my 2 out, went to woods, where it was shaded and the ground was still damp, but it was so hot.

When we came home the dogs got hosed down to cool them off.

They will sleep tonight!

clam Mon 27-Jun-11 18:03:11

Thank God it's not just mine! Taking him for a walk (casual stroll) this morning was like pulling a stuffed toy along on a piece of string! And that was at 8.30 before it got really muggy.

chocolateyclur Mon 27-Jun-11 18:26:23

Are mine the only ones that aren't bothered by it? The staffy went swimming in the pond for a bit longer on her walk - that was it. Would like a break from the madness!

DooinMeCleanin Mon 27-Jun-11 18:27:06

The whippy one is her usual self.

hephaestus Mon 27-Jun-11 18:33:23

Rubbish. Snow dogs don't do summer! Walking at 7am and 9pm at the moment and won't be taking girldog to agility if it continues as even with regular breaks for water she'll be no good for anything.

My poor horse is suffering the most, she's had a thorough hose-down this afternoon but she's jet black so just absorbs all the heat.

Roll on winter. grin

Asinine Mon 27-Jun-11 18:33:56

My lab pup 15 weeks, jumped into the river and swam properly for the first time. I think he liked feeling cool while he dried off

notnearlyasblondasiwas Mon 27-Jun-11 18:35:00

My poor frenchie is flaked out in the coolest room. I offered him a walk and he hid! He has justdrank loads today and keeps sighing!

SpringHeeledJack Mon 27-Jun-11 18:38:01

my poor staffs are wheezy

they keep looking all sorry for themselves by the back door. I keep telling them it's worse out there, but they won't listen- then they go out for about ten seconds, look at me piteously and come in again

sad

iEmbarassedMyself Mon 27-Jun-11 18:41:57

He's taken refuge on the cellar floor, DD1 decided to share her ice cream with him at lunch hmm surprised he hasn't thrown up yet.
His paws were sweating when he was in the garden, I had no idea he could even sweat.

chickchickchicken Mon 27-Jun-11 19:37:10

mine are sleeping more. we are walking early in the morning and late at night. went out at 10pm with them last night and there was a lovely breeze. we've had water fights with hose pipe to cool them down. they have a small paddling pool too but only one of them has worked out that its to paddle in and not just drink from. our oldie flakes out in front of the fan until she gets cold, looks at me as if to say why the heck have you put that on, and then jumps on the sofa until she gets too hot.......and so it carries on

Northernlurker Mon 27-Jun-11 19:39:59

Don't know about dogs but my cat is v pissed off and lying flat out anywhere she can!

WoodRose Mon 27-Jun-11 20:58:16

When not bobbing for balls in the paddling pool, collie pup can be found stretched out on the fireplace slate. We have had two days of blissful loose lead walking, though. smile

iloverhubarb Mon 27-Jun-11 21:37:29

Lovely cool mud bath. Shady walk, v pleasant till dog found stagnant mud. She put her whole face and body in it and rolled. Came out unrecognisable; was a liver and white springer spaniel, emerged black, slimy and smelling. Urgh.

fruitshootsandheaves Mon 27-Jun-11 21:54:45

Scottish Red Snapper is panting and wilted
Three Balls Bod (he can carry 3 balls at once, he doesn't physically have 3 balls! grin) is still rushing back and forth trying to persuade any one who moves to throw something for him. I'm not sure he's noticed it's hot.

Bast Wed 29-Jun-11 09:58:43

I clipped sprocker a couple of weeks ago and he's coping fine. However, due to his adoration of water, he's taken up residence in the paddling pool, regardless grin

kid Wed 29-Jun-11 22:26:44

My 1 year old springer is struggling with the heat a little bit. I've stuck to early morning walks and stick to shaded areas. The other morning I thought I was going to have to carry him home. He literally stopped walking, looked at me and sighed! We were almost home though so he obviously decided he could make it.
The second we got through the door, he was straight at his water bowl. I did take water out with us and he'd had some at the park but he obviously wanted more.
As much as I love the sun, I am glad its cooled down a bit for both of our sakes

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now