Talk

Advanced search

Any advice for our new puppy?

(5 Posts)
debka Mon 27-Jun-11 14:18:30

He's a 9mo jack russell. We only got him on Friday, and his tummy isn't right. DH has had to clear up some nasty diarrhoea every morning, and once in the day yesterday. Do you think it's just new house nerves, or a change of food, or do you think he could do with a trip to the vet? He is eating and drinking.

DoesItWearingWellies Mon 27-Jun-11 14:32:02

Was his change of food done instantly, as in gone from one type of food one day to another type the next? If so, it could be that as new food should be introduced gradually over the course of 1-2 weeks, slowly increasing the percentage of new food until it has replaced the old one. Their digestive systems are sensitive to changes in diet and it can result in diarrhoea. Could you give him the food he was on before you got him as it might make it clear up quite quickly.

Is the diarrhoea bloody? If it is, take him to a vet immediately.

If he becomes lethargic at all then take him to the vet immediately.

Of course, the fact it has lasted 3 days so far, I'd be inclined to at least ring the vet and possibly discuss it with a vet or vet nurse, but if you are really worried, then take him to the vet.

2T2T Tue 28-Jun-11 20:39:53

hows your dog now debka?

debka Wed 29-Jun-11 06:55:14

Hi, thanks for the good advice DIWW. I think it must have been the change of food because it was done suddenly, as DH didn't find out what food he had when he picked him up from his old owners. He's on IAMS food now and his tummy has settled down completely I think.

Thanks for the concern too 2T2T smile

DoesItWearingWellies Thu 30-Jun-11 03:00:38

Glad he's doing much better!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now