'Separation Anxiety' when out and about

(7 Posts)
BeerTricksPotter Sun 26-Jun-11 18:43:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BeerTricksPotter Sun 26-Jun-11 19:43:24

chickchickchicken Sun 26-Jun-11 20:02:58

grin at cold wet nose

was going to reply earlier but my situation different to yours. will tell you about it anyway.

our collie x gets upset when he sees people walking away from him. so for example if we are in car and one person gets out he will get distressed. or if i am sat down in the park and son wanders off, even just to the bin, he will cry and try and get to him.

in our case the only thing that helped was to avoid dog seeing the person actually walking away. so i would give a treat or distract dog. he would realise person had walked away but was ok as long as he didnt see the walking away part. it was easier if person walked away and wasnt within view. we can now let someone walk away and be in view and dog is ok. we have to make sure we distract before he gets upset otherwise nothing worked

BeerTricksPotter Sun 26-Jun-11 20:09:19

RobinSure Sun 26-Jun-11 20:24:47

Yep, only way to fix it is repetition. Have to beware distracting with treats, in case you end up rewarding the nervousness. Just have to twice a day go out and have someone leave the group without too big of a fuss. For us, making sure the dog sees we know the person's gone helps.

BeerTricksPotter Sun 26-Jun-11 20:37:41

chickchickchicken Sun 26-Jun-11 21:15:37

yep absolutely dont treat once dog is even slightly distressed. when we knew someone was going to be walking away i got dog's attention and did a mini training - sit, down, etc - and treated for those. in our case dog was upset by seeing someone walking away, and not by the person not being there iyswim

when ours got distressed, even slightly, there was no reasoning with him so i know what you mean

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now