Talk

Advanced search

Raw Bones

(12 Posts)
tjacksonpfc Sat 25-Jun-11 17:16:13

Hi weve just been to our local pet centre and managed to get 2 ham bones. They were only small and cost £2.49 each. Where do yu people that feed the raw diet get the bones from.

We used to have a butcher where we could get them from but hes closed down.

DooinMeCleanin Sat 25-Jun-11 19:25:55

Butchers usually do them free if you buy meat from them. That's where we get ours from. Are there no more butchers near you?

Have you tried Landywoods they seem to be popular with BARF feeders and sell raw bones. I think you need to order a minimum of £35 worth of things. I'm on the look out for a cheap freezer so I can restart BARF feeding, using Landywoods.

virginiasmonalogue Sat 25-Jun-11 19:27:33

I get mind from a butchers near me, then get the rest of my meat form Durham animal feeds. They deliver all over and they're lovely.

loiner45 Sat 25-Jun-11 19:35:33

Hi

the key is raw meaty bones - which includes things like ribs and chicken wings, when the bones are so soft the dog eats the whole lot. My dogs do get large recreational bones from the butcher, but they don't provide a lot of their nutrition. I look out for things on special offer in the supermarket and bones offered for "stock" which only coast a few pence - I have to get to the local supermarket very early on a saturday morning to get the really good, cheap, meaty bones - I think there are lot of people near me feeding a BARF diet (or a lot of people making stock!).

Happymm Sat 25-Jun-11 19:56:12

We get ours from the butcher-they save her the brisket bones, which she is spectacularly enamoured with!

tjacksonpfc Sat 25-Jun-11 22:28:14

Thanks all. Unfortunatly there isn't any butchers near me since our last one closed down we live in a rural area.

Thanks loiner45 for the info about chicken wings I as always lead to believe that chicken bones and dogs were a big no no. I will have a look and see if our supermarket do stock bones.

DooinMeCleanin Sat 25-Jun-11 22:44:07

Raw chicken bones are fine, but not legs. Necks, wings, carcus with legs removed is fine. Mine love raw chicken wings, inc. the cat.

hephaestus Sun 26-Jun-11 00:57:49

Curious as to why you say no legs, Dooin?

loiner45 Sun 26-Jun-11 01:02:15

I never heard tht - I've been feeding mine chicken legs since I started raw feeding over 10 yrs ago :-) just bought some cheap thigh and drumsticks today. Never had a problem. Wouldn't feed turkey legs as they are a much heavier bird so the leg bones are considerably stronger than chicken bones - but I think I'm being over cautious tbh. Basically if a wild dog can cope with it a domestic dog should be able to. I have 2 chicken wing obsessed cats too :-) one of them would take it from the dogs mouth if she could!

DooinMeCleanin Sun 26-Jun-11 01:13:37

I'm not sure Heph. I thought they were more prone to splinter? I could be wrong, but I am sure I have read that somewhere. happy to be corrected though, would make shopping for treats easier as the butchers just up the street doesn't sell wings, only legs or whole birds.

musicposy Sun 26-Jun-11 18:20:55

Yes, I thought same as Dooin, not to give bones that were weight bearing. Not sure where I read it but I always avoid them.

hephaestus Sun 26-Jun-11 18:31:20

Not a greal deal of weight on a chicken to bear! grin

I've heard not to offer weight-bearing bones as in leg bones of cattle etc. as they are very hard and there's a small risk of perhaps cracking a tooth but I personally feed those anyway, the risk seems negligible in largish dogs who are accustomed to eating bones.

I feed thighs and drumsticks as well as wings and carcasses, all seems about the same to me. Sainsburys do a big sack of value chicken parts in their freezer section. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now