Talk

Advanced search

Any way of getting a puppy to get up a bit later?

(3 Posts)
Howdoesjuliancope Sat 25-Jun-11 06:02:17

Maybe I am expecting a bit much, but my puppy wakes up every day at about 5.30 and barks. I wait for a pause and then go in to her, but when I take her outside she just mooches around for 10 mins or so and then does a wee (so doesn't seem desperate). For the past three days I have been taking her on a lead so she can't run around and it still takes about 10mins for her to do a wee, and then I pop her back in her crate for another half hour or so, which she does quietly.

So, is there any way that I can encourage a later getting up time? Even 6 would be fine. She is only 12 wks though, and goes to bed 10-10.30 so maybe I am expecting too much (although it is still a 5.30 wake up even if she goes to bed later). Her crate is dark, with a blanket over it, and I don't think there is anything specific that wakes her up.

RobinSure Sun 26-Jun-11 22:33:11

I'm afraid the thing waking her up is her bladder. She might not seem desperate, but that's just everything being too distracting to a pup. If you didn't get up, you'd find her sitting in a puddle. I'm afraid the only cure for this is time. Give it another couple of weeks and she'll last much better.

Howdoesjuliancope Mon 27-Jun-11 10:34:51

Thanks Robin, you are probably right. She was waking up every two hours a couple of weeks ago so I am just being greedy! Just frustrating that it is so close to our usual week day getting up time, and that it doesn't seem to vary no matter how late she goes to bed...will see how it goes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now