Talk

Advanced search

Another food/poo thread! Help/advice much appreciated...

(13 Posts)
Kingsroadie Wed 22-Jun-11 19:10:53

So... I have recently started taking my puppy for walks - we go to our local park and he is off lead once we get there. His poo in the past three/four days (ie pretty much since the park outings started) has been:
a) copious in quantity - I mean, it seems like a LOT of poo for a small puppy
b) fairly frequent - 6 ish a day. (He is on three meals)
c) not as firm as it was - not totaly liquid by any means but not picking cleanly up off the floor all the time.

He came to us on Burns, had toothpaste poos, then we slowly swapped to Fish4dogs but he was drinking (and therefore weeing) absolutely loads on it and weeing in crate at night as it was too salty for him (lots of you will have seen my mention of this on puppy thread - complete with taste tests grin). So we went to JWB. Which he loved at first (and poos fine) but seems to be slightly less keen on now.

Is it likely that the poo changes have been caused by the park outings, him eating things he shouldn't etc?! Or his food? Surely if he was okay at first it shouldn't now suddenly disagree with him....

(btw BARF isn't an option as we don't have the space - live in London with half size freezer, and I couldn't get to the butcher every day).

Once again - thanks a lot!

Kingsroadie Wed 22-Jun-11 19:23:24

Oh and he keeps farting and it doesn't smell nice!

clam Wed 22-Jun-11 19:46:58

Never thought I'd say this but..... envy envy !!

Happymm Wed 22-Jun-11 20:01:47

Oh no, you two, one who does, one who doesn't! grin Have many problems but at least her poos are fine!

clam Wed 22-Jun-11 20:20:24

Well, DH counted 12, yes 12, poos on the kitchen floor this morning!
Took him out to the park for a runaround, did some training practice on the way back, 10 out of 10 for everything.... came in the house and did a massive wee on the hall carpet! (dog, not DH!)

Anyway, sorry to hijack your thread, kings. I'll be off...

Happymm Wed 22-Jun-11 20:32:54

Glad to hear it was the dog, not DH peeing on the carpet grin

Kingsroadie Wed 22-Jun-11 21:56:36

So his poo this evening was better again. Perhaps it is the park. Sorry - what a gross thread!

Piffle Wed 22-Jun-11 22:11:32

Chicken wings?
Buy at supermarkets keep for 5 days?

kungpo Wed 22-Jun-11 23:24:04

Nature diet.

walkersmum Thu 23-Jun-11 08:07:16

It may not be the food but the puppy has picked up something in the park like campylobacter. Or eaten something he shouldn't.

If it was the food it's unlikely it would suddenly change, I would check with the vet.

Kingsroadie Thu 23-Jun-11 08:12:10

Thanks. But doesn't nature diet take up lots of room? We don't have the storage for lots. Especially in the fridge.

What I really want to know though is whether this may well be caused by park not food. As he seemed okay pre-park outings?!

He now has diarrhoea - I gave him some pilchards last night and it seems they didn't agree with him. Assuming it was that anyway - we can but try!

Piffle Thu 23-Jun-11 12:22:22

nature diet does not need keeping in the fridge until it is open...

Kingsroadie Thu 23-Jun-11 12:27:32

Thanks walkersmum. I think he might just be eating something he shouldn't in the park and the diarrhoea was only first thing which I think was probably due to the pilchards - he has not had it since. He is def producing more poo than when he was on fish4dogs so I might look into another higher protein food again.

Piffle - good to know also thank you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now