Talk

Advanced search

just seen 'the one' but..

(15 Posts)
sununu Wed 22-Jun-11 13:19:53

have been wanting a dog for ages and was contacting cocker breeders until this board converted me to the idea of rescue... we have a holiday booked, and have to do some work on the house, so I wasn't supposed to start looking until September at the earliest but I can't keep away from Many Tears and now I've seen a gorgeous boy, spaniel cross, young but past the puppy stage, good with dogs, on lead, with kids... he just seems perfect for us, I hope he finds a lovely home.

sununu Wed 22-Jun-11 15:05:04

and now he's reserved! not surprised it was so quick.

Bast Wed 22-Jun-11 16:27:34

Keep away from Many Tears or anything like it grin. When you're ready, look and your one will be there, if not straight away, very soon.

Elibean Wed 22-Jun-11 17:31:08

sununu, are you me?! We also have holiday booked, loft conversion about to start, and have to wait till September...and will be looking for a dog and child friendly soppy dog, but promise not to get into competitions with you for same ones wink

sununu Wed 22-Jun-11 17:42:03

OK, it's a deal. my youngest is not quite 4 so I think it could take a while to find the right dog and a rescue who will rehome to us, but I'm sure the right one is out there somewhere.

Elibean Wed 22-Jun-11 22:26:02

My youngest will be not quite 5, but she got nipped by a pup on her way to pre-school once and has never forgotten it - so it will take us a while too, I want to make sure we have a gentle soppy dog, not too bouncy and past the nippy stage!
With a not quite 4 year old, I think a rescue dog is a really good idea - our neighbours got a cocker pup this year, and whilst she is gorgeous, she did go through a very mouthy stage and even their 7 year old found it hard to cope. My little one would have been hysterical on a daily basis - too stressful!

2T2T Wed 22-Jun-11 22:48:36

ha ha elibean - I though sununu was you and you had namechanged! I have been offered a homecheck with a dog in mind which could be here within 3 weeks if I am successful! Did not quite anticipate that and now feel very nervous!!!! I might have to put them off but he is a beaut!

higgle Wed 22-Jun-11 23:33:17

My win the lottery fantasy is to take all the Many Tears dogs in the "no one wants these dogs" category, give up work and be their SAH mummy.

2T2T Thu 23-Jun-11 08:24:57

higgle - if youe want an assistant - I'm there smile

Elibean Thu 23-Jun-11 08:45:36

Ooh, 2T, how exciting! I hope all goes well - what kind of dog?

2T2T Fri 24-Jun-11 22:52:39

Eli - seen sense and decided to wait - all too rushed - she was a terrier x

BehindLockNumberNine Mon 27-Jun-11 21:09:48

We are in the exact same boat. Have been visiting a greyhound rescue centre and yesterday fell in love with a whippet cross type dog. But he is available now and we are not ready until after our summer holiday in the middle of august.... but I want him.......

2T2T Mon 27-Jun-11 21:49:06

BehindLock - I know how you feel. it is almost like you NEED to have THAT dog NOW!!! Actually, when I got the call that I had been shortlisted I was a bit panicky! I realised I was not ready and taht it was best to stick to Plan A and wait until after the Summer hols. but on teh other hand, I tried to convince myself that the reason I had got the call was because it was 'meant to be'. In reality, I was spin doctoring to myself grin. I feel better now that I have decided to wait and I now know that i have been deemed worthy which is a big weight off my mind grin

BehindLockNumberNine Mon 27-Jun-11 21:51:18

I know. I know. And I agree with you. And perhaps I will breathe a sigh of relief when we decide not to go for it. And there are other dogs... but... he is soooo cute...

2T2T Mon 27-Jun-11 22:03:00

be strong BehindLock !!!!!! You can do it grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now