Talk

Advanced search

Canvas dog crate. Yay or nay?

(19 Posts)
Ormirian Mon 20-Jun-11 12:23:40

We are getting a crate for our new dog. But we need a folding one. I have seen a canvas one online that is easily foldable. I confess that I prefer the look of it as I have a bit of a thing about 'cages' - I know, I know it's not the same thing... blush

Anyone have experience of these?

Elibean Mon 20-Jun-11 12:48:17

There was a mum in the playground this morning with a Dachsund pup in a canvas hold-all type thingy 'crate'? She said it was great, soft and comfortable, and the pup sleeps in it.
But it was the right size for a Dachsy pup, and not much more!

Ormirian Mon 20-Jun-11 12:48:59

You can get them in different sizes elibean.

Ormirian Mon 20-Jun-11 12:49:51

the x-large one for Harley

RobinSure Mon 20-Jun-11 12:51:29

Anything non-metallic is chewable. If the dog's going to sleep in it, or have a rest in it after a good run, it's going to have plenty of opportunity for chewing.
You don't specify it it's a puppy or not. If it is, it's going to chew anything it can get its teeth on.

There's nothing wrong with a metal crate as long as it's big enough for the dog. Buy it a cover, and fill it with blankets to make a 'den'.

Ormirian Mon 20-Jun-11 12:53:53

He's 11m robin.

AllTheYoungDoods Mon 20-Jun-11 12:56:07

Nay for me. We had to buy two of them at different growth stages as we needed a light, transportable crate. He was fine in them... until one evening he randomly decided to bust his way out (took about 10 seconds). They're not secure enough to be relied on in my book.

There is a definite gap in the market for a robust, light, plastic version. In the meantime, we're back to our massive metal one.

RobinSure Mon 20-Jun-11 12:56:40

Then chewing maybe still a little problem. They can chew things till over a year. I'd say not risk it and get a metal one.

GrimmaTheNome Mon 20-Jun-11 13:01:20

We got one something like that for travel. Its fine in the car, which as its part of the dog's territory he's relaxed. However, we left him in it last year when we were on a boating holiday, and wanted to walk round a no-dogs nature reserve. He ate his way out of it in less than an hour. So this year we took his metal crate in case we needed to leave him secure.

The metal crate is fine ... our dog has a thick foam matress, cushions and a sort of duvet. Very cosy. He sleeps in it at home with the door open, it is much better use of space than a bed because we can put baskets of DDs stuff on top of it.

GrimmaTheNome Mon 20-Jun-11 13:02:43

Our dog was 4 when he ate out of his - its not just puppy chewing that's a problem.

elastamum Mon 20-Jun-11 13:04:34

Metal crates fold flat anyway. A canvas one would last about 5 minutes in our house.

Elibean Mon 20-Jun-11 13:11:37

I guess it depends if you have a chewer or not then smile

Oooh, Harley is very nearly part of your family - so exciting!

Happymm Mon 20-Jun-11 13:12:00

We use the canvas one for travel, but have a metal one for in the house, for reasons above!

Ormirian Mon 20-Jun-11 13:12:19

OK I get the message grin

I will go for a metal one.

GrimmaTheNome Mon 20-Jun-11 13:13:14

>I guess it depends if you have a chewer or not then

No; our dog isn't a chewer. Except that if you've a chewer you probably can't even use it for travel.

Ormirian Mon 20-Jun-11 13:14:23

I have no knowledge of his gnawing habits as yet! I am sure I will find out over the next few months.....

GrimmaTheNome Mon 20-Jun-11 13:15:23

Yes - given that, and that I assume from your other thread you may need to leave him in it in a holiday cottage, the metal crate is the safest option.

Ormirian Mon 20-Jun-11 13:17:20

Well we can't leave him alone in the cottage anyway.

But as we are a bit brassic atm we don't want to waste money on something that will last no time at all.

chickchickchicken Mon 20-Jun-11 18:07:02

<cough>

does this mean homecheck went well and harley is coming to live with you?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now