Talk

Advanced search

Worried as booster is overdue

(11 Posts)
christine34 Mon 20-Jun-11 10:51:42

Hi, am worried as I've just realised my 7 year old dog's annual booster was due in April 2011 - so am 2 months overdue - am now worried that he'll be at risk - any vets/nurses out there that can advise/reassure me? Am usually spot on with that sort of thing, but for some reason had June in my mind and only just realised when I got his record card out - appt has been made for Thursday! Thank you.

CoffeeIsMyFriend Mon 20-Jun-11 10:56:00

well there are a few schools of thought on boosters. Some advise you vaccinate annually. Some think it is fine every other year, some dont use vaccine, they use natural methods.

It also depends on your dog. It is a personal choice really. Well, that is my opinion.

christine34 Mon 20-Jun-11 11:03:14

Thanks, coffee. My dog is a 7 year old mixed-breed, medium build, in good general health. Have just looked on the net and seems to be a 2-3 month safety net, which is reassuring, but would rather ask other experienced dog owners/vets/nurses.... thanks again. Any other opinions welcome!

LordSucre Mon 20-Jun-11 11:05:10

If you have been keeping the vax up to date, I wouldn't worry about it. Bet your vet tries to get you to have th whole course again though. Just go with the booster.

throckenholt Mon 20-Jun-11 11:08:02

we missed ours a year or so ago and had two have two injections over about a month to get back on track. Although our dog was only young - it may be 7 that a month or two makes no difference.

Check with your vet.

<must remember to book ours in>

christine34 Mon 20-Jun-11 11:13:57

Lord, will have to be assertive, then - doesn't come naturally!! Thanks, Throckenholt - maybe as my dog is "middle aged", it won;'t be such an issue? Thanks for your advice. smile

LordSucre Mon 20-Jun-11 11:18:27

Do you use kennels? If not, then most of these jabs are so that they can go into kennels. So use that as your excuse for not having the whole thingy if you just want the booster.

christine34 Mon 20-Jun-11 12:03:06

Lord, good point.... no I don't use kennels, only ever away for 1 week max and my mum comes up and looks after dog! smile

LordSucre Mon 20-Jun-11 12:33:58

Well, IMO and if I were you, I don't think I wouold even bother with the booster. Not telling you to do that, but you have had 7 years of vax. If it hasn't got immunity with that lot, there would be something wrong.

Vaccinations are a real money spinner for vets.

Lizcat Mon 20-Jun-11 15:38:42

The gap you can have very much depends on the brand vaccine that has been used as it is set done in the data sheet. 15 months is the maximum immunity from the leptospirosis portion, this is a bacterial disease caught from rats urine. The other portions have longer immunity hence why alot of vets now only give part boosters some years. I have to disagree with Lord sucre as the only dogs I have seen die of Lepto have been older dogs who are much more at risk from secondary infection joining in with this disease.
Whilst as I say the other diseases do build up immunity lepto doesn't and it can quickly wane.
Talk to your vet about their brand of vaccine.

christine34 Mon 20-Jun-11 18:58:05

Thanks for advice, Lizcat - will ask vet about vaccine - he's only 2 months overdue so should be alright. Thanks again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now