Talk

Advanced search

DS's Godfather has just stated that women in general are not good with dogs

(21 Posts)
fivegomadindorset Mon 20-Jun-11 10:35:26

Please help me with some rebuttals or shall I just bury him in an unmarked grave grin

BeerTricksPotter Mon 20-Jun-11 10:52:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

CoffeeIsMyFriend Mon 20-Jun-11 10:54:01

how about "oh do fuck off" ? No? Too confrontational...

Just laugh scornfully at him. Then say Barbara Woodhouse??? grin

BeerTricksPotter Mon 20-Jun-11 10:57:49

fivegomadindorset Mon 20-Jun-11 11:01:13

Oh yes I had that about choc labs, mine was a great gun dog. IN fairness GF has just said that the colour of a dog does not make it untrainable.

BeerTricksPotter Mon 20-Jun-11 11:06:48

fivegomadindorset Mon 20-Jun-11 11:09:36

He says he is generalising aswell grin

fivegomadindorset Mon 20-Jun-11 11:10:10

He also says that he would like her to come and help him with his dog grin

BeerTricksPotter Mon 20-Jun-11 11:12:14

Ephiny Mon 20-Jun-11 12:20:06

The overwhelming majority of dog trainers, behaviourists, walkers and rescuers I've come across have been women, so if anything I'd say it's the opposite. And quite a lot of vets and most vet nurses. Also there are lots of rescue dogs who are sadly 'wary of men', never known one scared of women in general.

Sorry I don't have much patience for men like that hmm

Miggsie Mon 20-Jun-11 12:22:59

Men get dogs so they can order them around, women get dogs as companions...so men are more likely to order their dog around.

Massive generalisation of course.

hatwoman Mon 20-Jun-11 12:39:09

miggsie - totally disagree on that one. basing this on a huge sample of two (me and dh and Big Dog; friends and Scruffy Dog) - both men got and treat the dogs as play pals. they are for having fun with, for spoiling, for going to the pub with. All their dogly traits are to be indulged.

Both women have recognised that all this is well and good but some dogly traits need curtailing(small things like snaffling food, chasing cats across the road, pulling your arm off when their on a lead, jumping up at small children and old ladies. that sort of thing...) and have worked and worked (and continue to work) to shape their respective dogs into respectable members of society.

my dog is a campanion, yes. but, like all my companions, I expect certain standards of behaviour.

(realises she has opened the door to all manner of gender-based generalisations about friendships, relationships, parenting...grin)

Elibean Mon 20-Jun-11 12:46:46

I would find it hard not to answer that some Godfathers are not good with women grin

walkersmum Mon 20-Jun-11 13:31:32

This is my friend, she's pretty with dogs!

I'm not bad but Laura is amazing

www.stauntonvalegundogs.co.uk/training.html

BeerTricksPotter Mon 20-Jun-11 13:42:36

aliceliddell Mon 20-Jun-11 13:44:24

Is that why there's so much divorce?

Gonzo33 Mon 20-Jun-11 15:43:38

^^That post was the reason we should have a like button!

fivegomadindorset Mon 20-Jun-11 16:47:35

He is a great guy, we did manage to come up with more women than men we knew who were good with dogs. It was interesting though that DS age 3 managed to get GF's dog to sit stay and fetch while DD didn't.

Unfortunately my sister looked after his first dog while he was serving in Iraq and managed to get him run over.

BeerTricksPotter Mon 20-Jun-11 18:30:48

CoffeeIsMyFriend Wed 22-Jun-11 09:12:19

beer you mean Lynne Davies. She is a great trainer. Runs classes for WT around my area (ish) and she judged at a GSD show last year I was at. She chatted for ages to us and knew what she was talking about.

BeerTricksPotter Wed 22-Jun-11 09:37:04

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now