Talk

Advanced search

So we've picked our puppy!!

(18 Posts)
jenster1976 Sun 19-Jun-11 20:25:32

so excited, she's coming home on 11 July and just wanted to share the excitement. Any top tips? Suggestions for names, it's a mine field , want to post on the baby name thread but not sure what reaction I'll get,

5inthebed Sun 19-Jun-11 20:28:11

What breed and colour?

jenster1976 Sun 19-Jun-11 20:40:52

Italian spinone, shes White/gold and really lovely (obviously!) we're working on an Italianate name...

clam Sun 19-Jun-11 20:42:24

Ooh, come and read our "new puppy thread" for support.

Or, on second thoughts, maybe don't! Might put you off!!! grin
We love them all dearly but we're being run ragged!

jenster1976 Sun 19-Jun-11 20:48:05

I've been reading it , wondering what I'm letting myself in for!! I expect I'll be there soon asking for advice about sleeping through etc, will be just like when I first joined mums net with DD1 , 4 years ago!!

FellatioNelson Sun 19-Jun-11 20:50:23

I love spinones! They are so beautiful, and all the ones I have met all seem like big, goofy, gentle giants to me.

twojues Sun 19-Jun-11 20:53:24

Be firm about the sleeping from the start. Don't give in and go to her even if she cries all night. It does get better, I think!

jenster1976 Sun 19-Jun-11 21:45:09

I'm going to have to get a grip there and toughen up! May have to invest in ear plugs..

clam Sun 19-Jun-11 21:51:33

Everyone told us to ignore crying and, believe me, in real life I'm no pushover and was determined to be strong. But I couldn't do it! He was so distressed, so we did a few nights of just popping down to soothe him and then going upstairs again. Took a bit longer but it's moreorless sorted now.
Wait and see what she's like when she arrives. Might be fine. Loads of people have lied told us their puppies were OK at night.

Happymm Sun 19-Jun-11 21:55:54

Just googled. Very gorgeous! Welcome to our new puppy syndicate! Tis mad, and so are you!

So much to learn and do.

Ignore the night time crying is the big one. I was fairly hard. I only went down once on the first night and toiletted and never went down again. She slept till 6 the next night, and last night did 10-8. Obviously v smug about that, but when you go to our thread you'll see that everything else has gone to pot! grin

Happymm Sun 19-Jun-11 21:56:56

How about Sophia, as in Loren?

KeepErLit Sun 19-Jun-11 21:58:26

Aaah..Good luck with her.

i agree with being firm with the sleeping arrangements. Although we never had any sleepless nights with my last one as she slept in our bedroom so I could get her out to pee during the night to help with the housetraining. As a result, housetraining her was a doddle but moving her out of the bedroom proved to be more difficult and she's still in with us....6 years on!

clam Sun 19-Jun-11 21:59:07

Bella (as in Bellissimo)?
Although I did read recently that it's one of the most popular girl's name for dogs at the moment. That may or may not be a bad thing.

jenster1976 Sun 19-Jun-11 22:11:43

Noo, my daughter's called bella!! She wants to call her Marvin, I am no longer listening to her. Thinking Alma, Cesca, jess, Tosca, but can't quite decide.

clam Sun 19-Jun-11 22:13:43

Ah! Not a good plan then! grin

FiveInTheBed Mon 20-Jun-11 15:48:35

Just googled, what a lovely looking dog.

Rosa?

Toscan is lovely.

Elibean Mon 20-Jun-11 16:06:50

Tosca is nice, but might she end up being called Tossa for short? Beware abbreviations...wink

There are some lovely Italian place names, if you google...

Never heard of Spinones before, but googled and agree - they look gorgeous, I want one smile

ditavonteesed Mon 20-Jun-11 18:03:53

a good friend has a spinone puppy, she is gorgeous, and the most friendly lovely dog ever. flippin huge though. Look forward to pics. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now