Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

What could be wrong with him?

(9 Posts)
LetThereBeRock Sat 18-Jun-11 23:52:40

My American bulldog X Staffie is acting very oddly. He's been fine all day,hyper as always,until 40 minutes ago when he began licking at his mouth,then 10 minutes after that began to pant heavily,after that let out a single yelp and ran to the end of the garden and hid against the fence.

I was about to call the emergency vet but he's under the duvet now and seems to have settled,but I'm still worried.

What could be wrong?

TIA

higgle Sun 19-Jun-11 10:59:08

Could he have eaten a chilli? mine ate some chilli seeds and acted like this for a while!

LetThereBeRock Sun 19-Jun-11 13:32:01

We took him to the emergency vet last night.£150 just to look at him.shock Dogs have the worst timing,couldn't he have waited until Monday morning before becoming illgrin

The vet thought he may be having an allergic reaction.He does have some skin problems,though his heart rate,breathing etc was fine,besides the constant panting. She gave him a sedative and a steroid injection. The panting lasted for 4 hours,and gradually eased off.
He still wasn't right this morning,though certainly better,and now you'd never know that anything had happened.

He's going to go to his own vet on Monday,to get his skin checked out again,and to arrange allergy testing as soon as possible.

It's interesting re the chili. He didn't have chili,but not too long before the panting began he did manage to steal a slice of ham which had a thick pepper crust.

TarquinGyrfalcon Sun 19-Jun-11 13:51:10

I'm glad he's ok.

I'm shocked at £150. Our lovely vets charge £30 for an out of hours call if you meet then at the surgery or £40 for a home visit.

Animals have great timing don't they - earlier this year we had to visit the vet on a Sunday two weeks in a row.

LetThereBeRock Sun 19-Jun-11 14:05:03

All of the local vets use Vets Now which is a major pain. I much preferred it when they had their own vet on call,though the vet we saw last night was lovely. The Vets Now branch is some distance from us too,so not the most convenient.

LetThereBeRock Sun 19-Jun-11 14:09:05

All of the local vets use one large company,Vets-Now. I much preferred it when they had their own vet on call. The nearest branch of Vet's Now is quite a drive away,in an emergency,and particuarly so when you have a dog trying to climb out of the window while on the motorway.

As for timing I'm convinced there's an animal plot to bring down the humans,starting with their bank accounts.

LetThereBeRock Sun 19-Jun-11 14:09:42

Oops.I didn't realise it'd posted the first message. It showed a blank screen.

LetThereBeRock Sun 19-Jun-11 14:14:49

And today's my birthday,so there goes my birthday money.grin

Elibean Sun 19-Jun-11 15:18:07

I bet it was the pepper - remember my dog doing something similar, and for that matter dd2, the first time she tasted pepper, did a lot of licking/panting and yelping grin

Happy birthday!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now