Talk

Advanced search

Clingy dog

(5 Posts)
slipperandpjsmum Sat 18-Jun-11 18:08:20

We have a wonderful 2 year old lab x. He is a very gentle dog and is great with the children. But he has a habit of following us around the house. If I am in the living room with him and walk into the kitchen he follows right behind me, I walk up the hall he is right there. Sometimes when I turn quickly if I am tidying up I will trip over him as he does not turn quickly enough. I go to the bathroom there he is right behind.

Can anyone offer any insight into whats going on? Is it his breed? I am concerned he feels worried. My dh takes him to work with him everyday. If I am working from home he stays with me so he is never alone.

We love him dearly but he does it all the time and I would like to work on altering this behaviour if I can.

Happymm Sat 18-Jun-11 18:59:22

I think that the obviously just loves you. He's used to being with someone constantly, so why would he not follow you around?
Is he crate trained? I must admit, my 10wk old lab just takes herself off for a kip in there on her own once she's had enough. But that's what she's used to...

chickchickchicken Sat 18-Jun-11 19:32:57

my dogs follow me around the house. i think its fairly normal. they arent anxious and can be left for a few hours when i go out. why do you think its due to anxiety? how is dog when he has to be left? could you slowly build up time when he is left alone when you all go out if you currently dont do that?

TheDogsAintTheProblem Sat 18-Jun-11 19:34:18

As Happy said, he's just very much attached to you and used to the company. I have three big buggers following me and love 'em as I do it can be a pain in the butt sometimes!

My first instinct was to say "Why do you WANT to train him out of it?" but I guess it's for the same reasons that I make efforts to sometimes seperate me and my own dogs. If, heaven forbid, you were in hospital or if you went away and DH couldn't take pooch with him to work the last thing you'd need would be to have to placate the neighbours who have been disturbed by a fretting, howling dog, something which is more possible with a dog who is unused to being alone for short periods.

Crate training might help - but don't lock him in it, leave the door open, feed him/place toys and treats inside and make it somewhere HE wants to go. It may also help to have a gradual seperation by, say, popping him in the kitchen and closing the door for 10 mins while you make the beds or using a stairgate so he can see you and be comforted by the knowledge but not access you, thereby keeping you in control.

slipperandpjsmum Sat 18-Jun-11 20:32:49

I suppose its because we have had dogs before and none of them did this so the difference has made me a bit worried. I know all dogs are different but just wanted to check he was happy.

I would like to alter it because when I am busy in the house I would like him to be able to sit in his basket so I can rush around without a constant shadow! When I sit down he sits right infront of me and stares and stares at me. It all feels very intense.

Not sure what crate trained is so I am guessing he isn't trained in that area??

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now