Talk

Advanced search

URGENT: Dog eating slug. What do I do? Is it poisonous? Should I go to vet?

(15 Posts)
Minorroad Sat 18-Jun-11 14:41:55

Slugs are poisonous, right? I have sort of hosed her mouth. What do I do? Do I go to vet? She is ok but a bit wet and pissed off with being hosed. I didn't know what to do. I got slug out with my fingers. Please advise asap if we need to go to vet.

Samvet Sat 18-Jun-11 14:44:46

Slugs are not poisonous. They can carry lungworm so you should get some preventative treatment for that next week. Slug bait is toxic - is that what you were thinking of?

Minorroad Sat 18-Jun-11 14:44:52

It was a light green one. And plump. I scraped around her mouth with my fingers but she might have some of it in her stomach. I really need to know what to do.

Sausagesarenottheonlyfruit Sat 18-Jun-11 14:45:00

No they're not poisonous. Don't worry. The worst case scenario is your dog may pick up a worm - assuming you worm treat your dog then there won't be a problem.

Samvet Sat 18-Jun-11 14:46:08

Lung worm requires specific wormers but this is not urgent! Don't panic!

fruitshootsandheaves Sat 18-Jun-11 14:46:22

If she is prone to eating slugs you should be aware of lungworm as it can be fatal.
I suggest you do at least phone the vet.

Minorroad Sat 18-Jun-11 14:46:32

Samvet; thanks, do I need to go to the vet? No slug bait. It was in my garden and we don't use slug bait. I thought the slugs themselves were poisonous.

Samvet Sat 18-Jun-11 14:47:44

No. You just need to call next week and get a type of wormer licensed for lungworm. Lungworm is very serious but doesn't happen overnight.

libelulle Sat 18-Jun-11 14:48:08

My uncle once swallowed one for a dare. Admittedly he's dead now, but only about 65 years after the slug swallowing incident, so probably no connectionsmile

Samvet Sat 18-Jun-11 14:48:37

Slugs are not toxic themselves, some dogs just find them yummy.

DaisySteiner Sat 18-Jun-11 14:49:30

Glad dog will be OK. I mis-read your title as 'dog-eating slug' and was imagining something out of a horror film blush grin

DaisySteiner Sat 18-Jun-11 14:50:04

Can verify slugs not poisonous - our ducks are always munching on them!

meditrina Sat 18-Jun-11 14:50:35

It's not that different from escargots.....

Samvet Sat 18-Jun-11 14:53:08

There is a river cottage episode where Hugh fw fries slugs and eats them. Even he thought they were gross.

Minorroad Sat 18-Jun-11 14:55:52

Thanks for all replies. I rang the emergency vet and he confirmed what you have said about lungworm. I panicked. Thanks so much. I hate slugs! Dog is fine but was not happy at the time at me scraping the critter out.
@libel; your uncle was mental. How much did we win.

Thanks thanks thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now