Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Lymphoma in dogs..

(8 Posts)
QuietTiger Fri 17-Jun-11 19:53:07

Does anybody have any experience with Lymphoma in dogs? My oldest Ddog (15 years old) has just been diagnosed with Lymphoma of the liver. sad We've made the decision to manage her paliatively, rather than with medical intervention, as we believe that quality of life is more important than quantity, IYKWIM.

Having said that, we'd like to keep her comfortable for as long as possible, so anyone who has any experience to share, I'd be grateful!

Thx. QT

chickchickchicken Fri 17-Jun-11 23:25:39

sorry, i dont have personal experience of this. hope someone comes along who does

what a difficult but brave decision you have made. i have a 14yr old dog and hope i am always able to put her needs before mine, as you have

Lizcat Sat 18-Jun-11 13:40:53

I have treated several cases of lymphoma in both cats and dogs everything fro doing nothing to whole nine yards to Madison Wisconsin Protocol for Chemo.

tabulahrasa Sun 19-Jun-11 00:53:07

My cat's currently being treated for lymphoma - I agree with you about quality over quantity, but in her case the reccomended protocol is fortnightly chemo in tablet form and daily steroids (and steroids are how I was told they'd treat palliatively anyway) I don't know whether the chemo's done anything yet as she's not due her 2nd dose till Wednesday, but it hasn't given her any side effects whatsoever.

I know you've said you're not treating, so that's just me waffling, lol.

So, the steroids are definitely making her feel better, we noticed she was I'll because she'd lost a bit if weight, her coat was looking a bit dull and she wasn't as playful, in the fortnight she's been on steroids, she's put weight back on, her coat looks much better and she's much more active - which I figure is good, lol, and they should make your dog feel better for a while too I'd have thought.

I've read that a high protein diet is good, so food might be worth looking at... It might make not a jot of difference giving her food with a higher meat content, but I figure it won't hurt and it makes her happy to be getting it ( yep I'm spoiling her because she's ill, lol)

I don't know if that helped at all, but I had my dog pts 6 months ago because he had cancer in the soft tissue of his leg and because of his age and arthritis in his back hips, there was no treatment that wouldn't have affected his quality of life - so I just wanted to answer, it was horrible sad it was a case of pain management until it was the right time and I'm happy it was the right time, but I still miss him.

They don't half worm their way into your heart

QuietTiger Sun 19-Jun-11 14:42:02

Thanks Tabulaharsa - that's helpful. The vet has got her on Zyladol, along with 1/2 tablet Prevaricox and antibiotics at the moment, along with a special hepatic prescription diet - like your dog, she is riddled with arthritis and spodilitis (sp?) of the spine, so she's not a well dog anyway. And yes, they really do worm their way into your heart.

Lizcat - as a vet, I'd welcome your input, do you have any ideas that could improve things holistically without too much medical intervention?

Lizcat Sun 19-Jun-11 17:36:23

It sounds like your vet has come up with a very sensible combination considering all her problems. My advice would be to enjoy her now.

QuietTiger Mon 20-Jun-11 09:52:52

Thanks for the input Lizcat and Tabulaharsa. smile

tabulahrasa Mon 20-Jun-11 12:51:25

oh of course, liver, that would warrant a special diet anyway, sorry I never thought, my cat's is in her spleen.

I've just been concentrating on having her as fit as possible in every other way, food, exercise, with a better level of baseline health it should help? I don't know though, lol

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now