Talk

Advanced search

How annoying.....

(11 Posts)
lottiejenkins Thu 16-Jun-11 16:08:13

Before having Bumble(Back in Feb/March) my son Wilf(deaf and autistic) was regularly trawling the dog rescue centre sites. He spied a nice Yorkie cross which he liked the look of. It was in a kennel which is affiliated to the local RSPCA. I rang up to enquire and was asked all sorts of questions which i answered. The lady then said i sounded fine and that the dog was having puppies and that she would ring me when we could go and see her. Cue Wilf getting very excited etc. Fast forward to Good Friday and Wilf looks on the site and sees the dog is reserved. he made me ring up to ensure she was reserved for us. It then transpired that the owner had decided to keep the dog for her daughter. This of course upset Wilf terribly and i had to endure an hour of Wilf screaaaaaming shouting and wailing. I was so cross with the lady and sad for Wilf. Fast forward again to ten minutes go and Wilf texts me to tell me that the dog is bck on the site again............ I am now wondering if the daughter lost interest and the dog has been put back in. Is the woman allowed to do this? Would I be wrong to tell the RSPCA what she did??

CoffeeIsMyFriend Thu 16-Jun-11 18:04:44

Have you considered contacting Hearing Dogs for Deaf People - they run a buddy dog scheme for children, maybe you could get a dog from them. They dont all pass training and the dogs are always well behaved - I can give you a number to call if you would like?

lottiejenkins Thu 16-Jun-11 18:32:51

We have a dog now called Bumble. He isnt a HDFD but is very attuned to Wilf and his needs. I am more worried about how that woman operates and whether she might upset another family...........sad

Scuttlebutter Thu 16-Jun-11 19:32:04

Glad you've got Bumble. But it may not have been the fault of the rescue that the original owner changed their mind. It's not her fault that happened, and she can't predict how every prospective owner will react. Most rescues also don't have the resources to let everyone know when a dog's status has changed, Dogs Trust (which is one of the largest in the country) is quite explicit about this on its website. Maybe you could suggest to the rescue that they should make this clearer on their site?

lottiejenkins Thu 16-Jun-11 20:55:05

Scuttle, i probably didnt make it clear in my first post,,,,,,, its the lady who owns the rescue centre herself that kept the dog then put it back in the kennels.................

Scuttlebutter Thu 16-Jun-11 22:56:33

shock shock

I take back everything I said in my last post.

The woman sounds awful. I know it won't help your son, but you've actually had a narrow escape, by the sound of it. And you've got your lovely Bumble.

lottiejenkins Thu 16-Jun-11 23:05:12

Thanks Scuttle. I really think i will ring the RSPCA tomorrow. I'll send you a message with a link to the site. She advertises through their site. I'dhate to think of her doing that to another family. My only fear is her working out it was me as she has my number!!

lottiejenkins Fri 17-Jun-11 11:21:43

Ive rung the RSPCA and left a message asking them to ring me back. I think that that womans behaviour was unacceptable..........sad

CoffeeIsMyFriend Fri 24-Jun-11 18:01:26

Any more news on this OP?

lottiejenkins Sun 03-Jul-11 13:49:19

Sorry only just seen this again as it dropped off my threads......The RSPCA man was excellent. The first thing i said to him was to ask if he any experience of autism...... He said that his grandson was autistic. I then explained the whole story and he was horrified and said he was going to speak to the woman.That was two weeks ago and i think i will ring him again this week and see whats happened!!

CoffeeIsMyFriend Sat 09-Jul-11 15:36:25

Glad youdid something Lottie hope there is a happy outcome for all concerned.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now