Talk

Advanced search

Where is Valhalla?

(47 Posts)
LoopyLoopsBettyBoops Wed 15-Jun-11 21:09:04

Has she de-regged? Is she OK? Anyone heard from her?

Val, if you're there, please PM. I hope you're OK love. Please get in touch. smile xxx

Summersoon Wed 15-Jun-11 21:42:14

Glad you posted this - I was wondering, too. I must confess that I kind of miss Val's passionate, opinionated, dedicated, sometimes fierce but always well-meaning and usually helpful, often funny posts. Come back Val!

LoopyLoopsBettyBoops Wed 15-Jun-11 21:43:53

Thread in chat

MotherJack Wed 15-Jun-11 22:15:26

She's here. Don't worry smile

LoopyLoopsBettyBoops Wed 15-Jun-11 22:18:42

Is she? Glad to hear it. If you know who she is, could you PM her for me please and send my best wishes?

musicposy Wed 15-Jun-11 22:24:25

I think she's here, too. She has a very distinctive posting style. smile

I'm not saying who, though, as she must have her reasons and I'm not going to link the two names in one thread.

musicposy Wed 15-Jun-11 22:30:39

As an aside, I also think it's important that people are careful what they say about this, in case it's a stalking issue.

Elibean Wed 15-Jun-11 22:42:11

Well, if you're there Val, I'm glad - was also wondering where you were (after a week or so of imagining you were on doggy-duty in a caravan with no hot water wink) but as you'd been unwell, was concerned.

Thanks for reassurance, MJ smile

LoopyLoopsBettyBoops Wed 15-Jun-11 22:43:25

Yes, agreed. Not a good idea to link two names if those are the reasons for namechanging. Really hope she's here and well though. smile

Scuttlebutter Wed 15-Jun-11 23:38:31

She has a posting style like no other. grin Definitely still here.

emptyshell Thu 16-Jun-11 07:52:49

I was wondering where she'd got to to be honest. And since I'm generally Captain Oblivious - similar posters just woosh about 10 foot over my head.

Madsometimes Thu 16-Jun-11 09:37:22

I had the caravan image in my head too. Have to say that the weather isn't great for caravanning at the moment.

misdee Thu 16-Jun-11 10:22:24

think she has a doggy style name now.

MotherJack Thu 16-Jun-11 16:49:13

Agree Musicposy..... I think people need to be very careful about possible outings... she's changed for a reason which we all need to respect. Will send her a PM and pass on all the regards and best wishes people have wanted sending.

LordOfTheFlies Thu 16-Jun-11 23:56:52

Yes,I had wondered where she was. I'm not a dog owner ( or TBH not the biggest canine fan blush but I've missed her posts!

TheDogsAintTheProblem Fri 17-Jun-11 22:09:52

Blimey! blush

Thank you all - more blush

I'm fine, just adopted an alter ego and have stepped back from dog stuff for a while. One reason is because of a fall-out with someone (not an MNer but someone who has read my posts on here in the past) who I don't really want following my every move and I'm pretty open here about other stuff, to do with the kids and so on. The other was that I was getting to the stage of falling apart with dog related stuff to the extent that my family life was beginning to suffer, to say nothing of my heart and an impending important hospital check up for illness, results to come in the next couple of weeks, was and still is foremost in my mind. Cancer ain't something a girl wants to experience again! That need to take a break thing happens from time to time for me. I'm pretty sure that others who do any sort of emotionally-involved thingys will agree, be that voluntary like mine or professional and be it animal care, teaching, medical, whatever.

That occurred at the same time as a bit of Val-having-a-pop-at on here, which I can take without tears but which made me want to be far ruder than even MN's swearing-permitting limits will allow I realised that losing it to that extent with anyone on this forum is not just out of order but would also do the dogs I champion no favours. It would also lose me the across the net "friendship" that I have with many of you and I value that too much to let it go because I've got arsey and let rip at someone. I guess that it just all happened at the same time, which was just unfortunate on my part.

Scaring myself with my bluntness honesty here, I got fed up with banging my head against a brick wall with lots of things, the anti dog/anti Staffie brigade, the "rescue dogs have no history" ones, those who accused me of thinking myself too important to sweat the small stuff about food or crates etc. Sure, I can do crate/food advice to the best of my ability, but so can virtually everyone else. Not everyone knows the law on pound dogs though or the way rescue works or what to do if, say, you find a stray. So, I thought I was most use speaking on what I know best, that's all. I know too that in the past I've been accused on MN of being a hypocrite for taking a part in the puppy threads despite advocating rescue so loudly (again, no big deal to me, I can take the criticism and argue back with the best of 'em but not fair on the dogs I try to help save), but try as I might I couldn't get my (probably weird!) logic over to some on here, so the term "bollocks to it all!" got employed!

I'm no big deal, there are thousands out there like me (though never enough of course so) fighting the corner of the rescue dogs and the Staffs and the like, and doing it much better than I ever could and honest, my ego ain't that big but... well, I thought sod it, so it kinda got to the stage where I thought that it would be better for all concerned if Val disappeared for a while for all those reasons, and, tbh, to see too if the few advice/comments I then posted would be taken more easily under a different name. Oddly... wink

I couldn't keep quiet on dogs altogether though, as many of you have seen! grin

And when I saw emptyshell's post this morning, I just read it with tears running down my face. My getting the hump with personal comments pales into all insignificance in comparison. emptyshell, if you read this, stay here with us lovey, we appreciate and respect you.

Again, thank you all, I'm genuinely humbled. You'll see me here, and recognise me, I'll still annoy you all take part in the Doghouse. All I can say to anyone who doesn't like me, of course that's your right and I accept and respect that, if what I say doesn't suit then go ahead and argue (god knows, I do!) but please don't put the dogs I try to save at risk of dying any more than they are at the moment in the process.

And for the rest of you lovely, kind, thoughtful lot, just ignore me, I'm a grumpy old boot with too big a mouth for my own good sometimes! smile

fivegomadindorset Fri 17-Jun-11 22:14:11

I have missed your posts, we will never see eye to eye on meat vs vegan but you do some amazing work.

Joolyjoolyjoo Fri 17-Jun-11 22:19:23

Aw, glad you are still here Val/ TheDogsAintTheProblem!

I can empathise with your name-change, as you are a bit of a guru on here- at the first whiff of a dog thread people start shouting "wait till Val gets here!"- puts a bit of pressure on you to be all-seeing, all-knowing, and then people get arsy with you because they think it is you who sees yourself in that role, when really it is just other MNetters/ doghousers!!

we don't agree on everything, but anyone who so obviously loves dogs and puts her money where her mouth is in that regard (with all the work you do) is good value in my book!

LoopyLoopsBettyBoops Fri 17-Jun-11 22:26:01

Glad you're OK. Miss you xxx

TheDogsAintTheProblem Fri 17-Jun-11 22:39:15

Thanks ladies! smile blush

Just one thing... apart from the habit of using the ellipsis all too frequently... thanks ex DP for getting me into that habit... grin is my posting style that distinctive?!

grin

iEmbarassedMyself Fri 17-Jun-11 22:42:25

Yes, very distinctive!
Did you name change from earlier this evening too? Thought I recognised you somewhere, though wasn't with that name.
Anyway, hope all is well smile glad to hear from you <worrier>

Empusa Fri 17-Jun-11 22:47:06

I'm so glad you are still here Val! You are one of the main reasons I returned to MN after throwing a bit of a (justified!) strop! grin

chickchickchicken Fri 17-Jun-11 22:48:13

every 'cause' whether educational opportunities for looked after children, animals, conservation, carers rights, etc needs passionate people. passion sometimes means you arent always objective (not saying that applies here) and that you cant always put your point across in a diplomatic softly softly way.

it really pisses me off when people knock other people who are giving up their time to help. you dont have to like that persons style but go do what they do for a month and then see if you still want to critisise

imagine how awful the world would be without passionate campaigners fighting on behalf of those who cant or are unable to do so themselves

chickchickchicken Fri 17-Jun-11 22:50:09

<gets off soapbox>

posting style usually goes over my head. however, had my suspicions a few times. the 'lovely' you said to emptyshell earlier was a dead giveaway though grin

TheDogsAintTheProblem Fri 17-Jun-11 22:52:00

"the 'lovely' you said to emptyshell earlier was a dead giveaway though"

Oh bugger!

Oh... bugger... that's another one, isn't it? grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now