Talk

Advanced search

Shall we take Harley* on hols with us?

(21 Posts)
Ormirian Wed 15-Jun-11 12:30:38

* name my be subject to change.

If all goes well it looks as if we could be adopting Harley sooner than we thought.

We are going to Pembrokeshire in August to stay in a cottage. The site takes dogs but it's clear they aren't all that welcome - one well-behaved dog only, in some of the cottages, bring their own bed, charge made etc. We obviously booked pre-dog without any expectation of having one with us.

Now I dont know him all that well yet and I can't guarantee that he will be entirely well-behaved. He is a lovely dog but not at present a very obedient one - we are attending training with him at the rescue but Aug will still be early days. The rescue are happy to keep him with them until we come back. Would that be the best option?

And yes, before anyone says it, I am a bit nervous. I am not getting cold feet - I am really really excited! But that last thing I want is to take a dog I don't know well, as an inexperienced owner, to a place that doesn't entirely cater for us.

And the non-logical part of me wants to have him at home with us asap.

Any advice?

chickchickchicken Wed 15-Jun-11 13:24:27

we take our dogs on holiday to pembrokeshire every year. which area are you staying in? most of the beaches, except a few in tenby, are dog friendly all year round so you would have plently of places to go. pubs and cafes (except tenby town centre which we avoid) usually cater to dog owners as it is such a popular place for walkers and dog walkers to visit

i wouldnt worry about the holiday place saying only one dog and an extra charge being made. ime that is standard. the extra charge is afaik to allow for any additional cleaning on turnover day. it is also standard practice to take your own dog bedding. if a place allows dogs at all, some dont, then i assume it is dog friendly. it is possible to find places that allow more than one dog - we do- but a lot do only say one dog

with regard to knowing if you should take him. maybe wait and see for a few weeks? provisionally book him in cottage (pay the extra when you arrive if you do take him) and provisionally book rescue place and then decide nearer the time?

as he is almost one i would think he could stay out with you all day so you wouldnt have the worry about leaving him in the cottage. he could have rest on the lead when you stop to eat/drink

Ephiny Wed 15-Jun-11 13:31:29

It's normal to have to bring your own dog bed (I've never stayed anywhere that provided them) and to have a small extra charge for dogs, so I wouldn't take those things as a sign that dogs aren't really welcome. The 'well-behaved' thing doesn't necessarily mean perfect obedience, I think it's more along the lines of not chewing the furniture or digging up the carpet or barking all the time and annoying people in adjacent cottages.

It's really hard to say without knowing the dog. Generally I'd say it's best if he comes home as soon as possible, but wonder if it might be confusing for him to be taken away on holiday so soon, if it would slow down the process of him settling into his new home? Our rescue dog is still (after a year) a bit anxious and unsettled when we stay somewhere unfamiliar...

Ephiny Wed 15-Jun-11 13:32:56

I never really understood why so many places specify only one dog - especially as our big boy is the size of several small dogs confused.

Ormirian Wed 15-Jun-11 13:55:32

" if it might be confusing for him to be taken away on holiday so soon, if it would slow down the process of him settling into his new home"

Well that's an issue too. We could leave him at the rescue but then we won't have him in the house very long before the DC and DH go back to school which would be a shame. And we want him with us asap!

Near Broad Haven chick. Place called Timber Hill. I am sure he will be fine and there are 5 willing carers to make sure he is well looked after!

Thankyou both. I am likely to bore everyone to death on this board very soon grin. I am a bit nervous - but only because the world seems to be full of dog-averse people these days much more so than when I were a lass. I live in dread of upsetting or offending anyone as it seems so easy to do it confused. I want to do it right and the last thing I want is an unhappy dog and one that causes hassle to other people.

I think we need to talk to chap at rescue when he brings hound to visit us on Monday - see what he advises.

Ephiny Wed 15-Jun-11 14:10:20

Yes definitely good idea to ask the rescuers opinion, I might well be talking nonsense about it confusing/unsettling him (my dog is a bit of an anxious, sensitive little soul so may not be typical smile) and it's probably better for him to be at home with you as soon as possible rather than waiting until August, especially if he's being kenneled at the moment.

I'm sure he'll have a very happy and loving home with you, I know it's a bit of a worry though when it's your first dog!

GrimmaTheNome Wed 15-Jun-11 14:19:38

Would the rescue be willing to let you have him ASAP but have him back for the holiday?

Also, have you checked with the cottages that they've actually got one available which they do allow dogs in - if not, best do that before further planning. (As others have said, the conditions sound entirely normal, nothing to worry about)

Ormirian Wed 15-Jun-11 14:21:59

grimma - I haven't checked yet no. Good idea! Ours might not be suitable. I will ask about him going back for the week if neccessary. Thanks

Ormirian Wed 15-Jun-11 14:29:48

Just checked and very lovely man said yes! grin

Scuttlebutter Wed 15-Jun-11 15:05:36

I'd be in favour of taking him with you. I give dogs credit in adapting quite well to new surroundings ,providing they've got their regular humans with them. Pembrokeshire is absolutely gorgeous, and has lots of beaches which are dog -allowed all year round, plus an amazing coast - it's a wonderful place to take a woof.

For future years, I can recommend this wonderful place - they are one of the most dog friendly places in the UK, they don't mind how many dogs you bring (or what size!), have a pool and hot tub, can provide a doggy creche if you want a human day out without woof, and do a lot to support various sighthound charities. Like many sighthound owners we are regular visitors, and it is close to a wide array of beautiful beaches. We already have a booking for next year. They also have horses, ducks and chickens. Tis fab.

ScaredOfCows Wed 15-Jun-11 15:22:23

I'm sure he'd love a holiday by the sea with his new family. Between now and August, you will be well on with his training. A crate might be a good idea to take (if he's used to one), just to make sure he doesn't chew where he's not meant to when you can't watch him, although hopefully at nearly 1 he is out of the chewing stage.

munstersmum Wed 15-Jun-11 15:39:10

Take him if you can. Sand, sea & loving humans. He'll think it's Christmas !

You know those sticks that people fling balls with for the dog to chase? We got a floating 'doughnut' one. It's sooo exciting running into the sea.

GrimmaTheNome Wed 15-Jun-11 15:50:29

We took our current dog to a hotel when we'd only had him a couple of months, when he was a year old, come to think, and he was fine. We did have a crate - its what he sleeps in anyway, at home with door open.

I think you'll be fine, but would still ask the rescue, as a backup plan.

Ormirian Wed 15-Jun-11 15:51:58

We are thinking of getting a crate anyway - do we need a fold-up one confused Car is big but not that big...

minimu1 Wed 15-Jun-11 16:01:02

Probably too early to make a decision (frustrating I know) most dogs would love it and he will be fine if he is with his new family. You should have time to work out any concerns and hopefully the rescue have assessed him too so should be able to help you.

Crate him at home (just take the same crate with you on holidays) he will barely notice the difference if he is with his new family to be honest.

GrimmaTheNome Wed 15-Jun-11 16:02:06

How big is Harley? How will he travel in your car - our dog travels in a crate wedged on the back seat anyway, we just take his proper metal one on hols instead of the cloth one which usually lives in the car.

All the crates I've ever seen fold anyway.

Ormirian Wed 15-Jun-11 16:02:40

He's a smallish collie size.

ScaredOfCows Wed 15-Jun-11 16:02:51

I'd get a fold up crate, easier to store when not in use.

He's going to be one happy dog!

Ormirian Wed 15-Jun-11 16:03:54

Right ! A fold up crate. Alternatively I could put the back seats flat and put the DC in the crate with the dog grin

AllTheYoungDoods Wed 15-Jun-11 16:36:02

SCuttle, that place looks AMAZING. I might book now for our first family holiday next year (eek!)

Scuttlebutter Wed 15-Jun-11 20:00:47

Doods, it's fab. I can't even begin to tell you how relaxing it is to go somewhere where your dogs are positively welcomed AND you know they will be safe. Like many people, we'd booked various cottages that claimed to be dog safe/dog friendly and found when we got there on one memorable occasion, a delightful cottage but with a fence that an arthritic Yorkie could have walked over, with a large flock of exciting looking sheep in the next field.. We lasted one night before coming home with my nerves in shreds. grin

When you've got three galumphing great greyhounds, it's fab to know they can rampage around the garden and simply CANNOT get out - the fences are really high and secure - fabulous. We could sit back, drink gin to our heart's content and enjoy ourselves. Loads of fab walks nearby, including on the farm itself.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now