Talk

Advanced search

Dog has eaten chocolate - what should I do?

(9 Posts)
blurdylurdy Tue 14-Jun-11 22:28:26

Just as it says above really.

She got upstairs without us realising and ate about two thirds of a bar, probably about 75g. Galaxy cookie crumble not dark choc (I think tha's worse, is it?). Only found out when son went to his room, so it could have been up to 4 hours ago, no less than 2.

She seems fine - is a one year old weimaraner, so pretty big - but I'm really worried as I've heard such things about it poisoning them.

Any advice?

sharbie Tue 14-Jun-11 22:30:44

think with this amount will be fine - maybe call ooh vets to check?

our lab ate a whole tin of roses and had to have charcoal at vets

blurdylurdy Tue 14-Jun-11 22:38:01

Thank you - she's fast asleep and snoring her head off, but I'll stay up with her I think just to keep an eye on her.

MotherJack Tue 14-Jun-11 23:28:01

read this, Blurdy It's a serious amount of chocolate (theobromine) per dog kilo that really does the damage..... Alice15 posted a fantastic link.. you just need to move the slider to see what's what.

HTH smile

blurdylurdy Wed 15-Jun-11 08:50:51

That is a great link, thank you MotherJack (I think I'll pinch it for my blog!), thanks for posting. She seems absolutely fine, no problems during the night and off for a nice walk at the moment. Will keep my eye on her and get back to being neurotic!

SoozleQ Thu 16-Jun-11 00:25:43

Ugh, my malinois/staffy cross once stole a tupperware box of homemade chocolate brownies stuffed full of dark chocolate and cocoa powder. The subsequent vomit splatter covered approximately a quarter of my lounge carpet.

She was fine. She still steals food, though

tabulahrasa Thu 16-Jun-11 00:32:39

Mine have stolen chocolate before (whole blooming boxes if the stuff) if she wad going to be I'll she'd be throwing up by now

ThatVikRinA22 Thu 16-Jun-11 00:35:57

mind ate 2lb of sons factory seconds that a friend had given him....she was very very sick all that night, but ultimately ok. i spent the entire night on the sofa with her chucking up every hour....and she managed to hit the rug almost every time!

phone your vet if youre worried but id say 75g is no biggie - dont make a habit of it though!

GnocchiGnocchiWhosThere Thu 16-Jun-11 15:56:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now