Talk

Advanced search

New puppy help

(44 Posts)
twojues Sat 11-Jun-11 22:13:49

After losing our Harvey a couple of weeks ago, Bailey (lab) has been really miserable.

We brought a new puppy home today (8 weeks) and he seems to be settling in well.

However, I have just shut him in the crate for the night and he is still barking and whining after nearly 15 minutes.

Should I leave him or let him come out? I know if I let him come out he will think it's ok, but not sure how much longer I can put up with the noise.

He has slept for short 10 minute naps just on the kitchen floor this afternoon and not eaten much.

I gave him a couple of treats in the crate and have put a blanket over the crate and turned off the light.

Any suggestions welcome

fruitshootsandheaves Sat 11-Jun-11 22:34:44

I left my puppy in the crate overnight from day one. he screamed for 4 hours the first night and 2 hours the second night but has gone through the night since with no mess (although we did stay awake the third night worrying because he was so quiet!)
I would say stick with it but the first few nights are tough. if you give in now it will be harder and go on for longer.

BitOfFun Sat 11-Jun-11 22:36:27

I reckon stick with it too. Otherwise you will end up with their snuggly cuteness in your bed and decimate your sex life <bitter experience>

Happymm Sat 11-Jun-11 22:41:04

I went with advice from minimu and midori which was to leave them. As long as the space is small, they have their stinky blanket, a warmer, couple of toys-a kong is good you can put peanut butter and treats in so takes ages for them to work at it. Cover completely. Oh, and our puppy likes a bit if radio 4-posh dog grin

DogsBestFriend Sat 11-Jun-11 22:42:27

If you're set on using a crate I'd hang in there too. (I'm guilty of having my own dogs with me at night so am no expert on crating though I've crate trained for foster dogs at the request of the rescue).

Two things which helped me were putting the jumper I'd been wearing that day in the crate for comfort and leaving a radio on in the background. Others swear by having a ticking clock nearby which is said to remind the pup of his mother's heartbeat.

If all else fails move the crate into your bedroom or sleep on the sofa beside the crated pup, gradually withdrawing him into wherever you want him permanently as he learns to settle.

During the day leave the crate open so he can escape there, out of the way of the family hustle and bustle. Put his toys in there, even feed him in there with the door open - make it somewhere he wants and chooses to go to and that he understands is quiet and peaceful, HIS own place where everyone has been told to leave him in peace. And be consistant with the family, insist that they ALL leave him in peace if he's in his crate, visitors likewise, tempting as it is to get down on his level and give him a fuss.

HTH and that you both get some sleep!

twojues Sat 11-Jun-11 22:47:36

Well, he's still at it after an hour!!

He has the vetbed that came with him and a toy but that's all.

Should I open the crate and put a clock and some of my clothing in there now or leave it and put them in tomorrow night?

We never had this with Bailey or Harvey. They were both really good from day 1.

Happymm Sat 11-Jun-11 22:57:16

Our pup did it the first night, but not immediately as we'd put her in the crate for daytime naps-we've found that if she doesn't get enough protected sleep in her crate in the day, then we get over tired toddler syndrome and it all goes to pot!

Our pup went for it at 4am. I went down and very matter of factly took her out and she had a wee/poo, then I put her straight back, and had to be very strong for the next 2and a half hours as she howled away. When I did get up I called through to be to be quiet, which she did, and whilst she was quiet I got her out. This worked for us as the second night she went till 6, and today, one week on, she went till 7 smile

Good luck,x

BitOfFun Sat 11-Jun-11 22:58:14

I think I would probably go in and do what you might with a baby- no eye contact, calm, minimal attention, comfort on spec, return to crate with snuggly things.

I am not an expert though.

fruitshootsandheaves Sat 11-Jun-11 23:02:58

half an hour? you've still got 3 and a half left to go!
put some headphones on and turn your music up grin

<heartless dog owner emoticon>

Just10moreMinutes Sat 11-Jun-11 23:07:48

I'm a novice dog owner (pup is now 5 months) so I can only say what I'd do..
..I'd pop the clothing in and give him a little cuddle and reassurance. It's his first night away from everything he has ever known so it's not surprising he's feeling unsettled.

I took the approach Gwen Bailey puts forward in her puppy book which is to keep puppy close to you at night for the first few nights. I didn't want her in my bedroom though (thought I'd never get her out!) so I slept next to her crate for the first three nights. She settled to sleep really easily as she could see and smell me. It also made it easier to pop her out for a wee during the night and really helped with house training.

When I went upstairs to sleep on the fourth night she settled to sleep very quickly as she was already in love with her crate and into the routine of trotting off there for a sleep.

It's his first night, so, if you want to, a bit of extra attention tonight won't do any harm..

Just a thought...can pup see your older dog? Would that help?

Happymm Sun 12-Jun-11 09:47:13

How did you go twojues?

shineoncrazydiam0nd Sun 12-Jun-11 09:50:05

I got our pup at 7 weeks old and ignored her the first two nights completely - although she didn't cry for too long. Not a peep out of her now. The key is to not get them out.

twojues Sun 12-Jun-11 12:35:24

Koda really hates the crate. I was naughty and took a sleeping tablet so got a few hours. Notnsure if he settled for those hours or not. He was still barking/whining when I went to bed at 11.45!! I woke at 4.30 with him barking. Went down at 5 and took him outside. Then I left him out of the crate in the kitchen with thebdoor shut and went back to bed. He didnt bark until 7.15

I fed him at 7.45, then took him outside again, played with him then put him back in the crate about 8.45. He made himself sick bless him with barking.

Let him out and he immediately settled to sleep by the back door.

He is as I type this fast asleep under my breakfast bar so I don't think the crate is going to work. I might see if I can get a room divider so I can keep him contained but also give him a bit more room.

Happymm Sun 12-Jun-11 12:42:44

Maybe you just need to go a it slower with the crate, feed him in there and stroke him, then move up to shutting the door but with you sat next to it etc. My 9wk old lab just takes herself off into hers already when she's had enough-she's there now. Realises that she doesn't get enough uninterrupted sleep if not.smile

Spamspamspam Sun 12-Jun-11 13:10:17

twojues the crate WILL work but you may need to go a bit slower, he needs a lot of comfort from you at this age. Leave him at night like you did last night but during the day, move the crate to where you are and just leave his bed in there with some comfy things/toys and let him choose to go in there with the door open, I wouldn't be considering shutting him in the crate during the day for a good few days maybe even a week. The crate will be an absolute godsend if you can persevere and just give him more time to get accustomed to it and begin to enjoy his time in there.

twojues Sun 12-Jun-11 13:17:30

Lol, just put Koda's dinner in the crate and he just about put his front feet in, but would not put the back legs in.

I childmind so I really need to get him used to the crate so he can get away from the children.

Spamspamspam Sun 12-Jun-11 19:14:09

You have lots of time to get him used to the crate, I assume you have taken time off work to settle him in so you don't need to overwhelm him too soon. Ours was a lot better a week to 10 days in but I don't think she fully settled here until about three weeks in. It is so much for them in the early days, you are all new, he has been taken away from everything he knows so just give him time grin

twojues Sun 12-Jun-11 19:40:31

Unfortunately I can't take time off as I look after teacher's children and they don't have family close by to help out.

My son is home from Uni and is taking on the puppy care. I don't have loads of children and they are all used to animals and I can shut the kitchen door so keep him calm.

He has slept well today and eaten his tea in the crate, but as soon as I shut the crate door he starts crying and barking.

He is whining by the back door to go outside to do a wee, which is fantastic, I'm not letting him give me a false sense of security though.

midori1999 Sun 12-Jun-11 20:18:41

If he is really getting distressed in the crate I think I would be inclined to leave the door open at first until he is comfortable with it. It does mean you'll have accidents to clean off the kitchen floor in the mornings, but it also means you can gradually get him used to the crate and hopefully feed him in there, leave nice toys in there, leave lovely treats in there for him to find etc and then proceed to shutting the door when you are still in the room, at first only for a few seconds and whilst you feed him treats through the door, then progressing to when he eats his dinner in there (open before he finishes at first). Just take it very slowly.

It's a pity more breeders don't start crate training off really. If the dog is used to a safe and secure environment like a crate, it makes the move into a new home much easier for everyone, especially the puppy.

twojues Sun 12-Jun-11 20:40:31

Thanks Midori. He has just eaten most of his dinner in the crate with the door shut. I opened it before he started crying.

He slept in a pen at the breeders with his siblings, so I might try getting a pen and using that rather than the crate. That way he will still be safe and in one area.

I am going to just shut Kado and Bailey in the kitchen tonight and hope he will sleep ok.

twojues Sun 12-Jun-11 20:49:41

Koda not Kado

twojues Sun 12-Jun-11 22:04:15

Managed to get a pen and have set it up around the crate so he has got plenty of room but is contained.

Kept him awake since 8.00 pm. He has been out to do a wee and a poo, gave him a treat and put him in the pen.

...... and he's started. I am not going to go in to him, but he is soooo loud!!!!! I'm going to go to bed now and hopefully I will get some sleep tonight.

Happymm Sun 12-Jun-11 22:23:05

Good luck! We were fortunate in that Summer's breeders did crate the pups at night, though left the door open so they could toilet, which has made the transition here much easier. She loves her crate and goes in during the day as well when she vants to be alone! And nights have become good, goes till we wake her up now.

Am not smug though as is only thing we've got right so far grin

twojues Mon 13-Jun-11 08:16:33

Well, earplugs cuts out his noise, so I got some sleep.

He cried and barked most of the night according to my son whose bedroom is above the kitchen/breakfast room.

He had pooed and weed in the crate, so I know what he thinks of that now!!

He was eating Skinners Field and Trial kibbles at the breeders, but he won't really eat it here. I have tried soaking them, but he will only have a few mouthfuls and then leaves it.

I really don't remember the other two dogs like this. Bailey was crated and although he did poo in the crate he didn't cry after the first night.

alp Mon 13-Jun-11 09:35:32

We had our first night with puppy last night....reading this thread and all the others. We made the crate small, treats, kong and toy, covered the crate with a blanket and put the radio on. The howling was pretty much constant. sad

We got up at 4am and she had messed in her bed which was everywhere. Luckily DH got that job and I was walking down the garden where she did wee.

Back in crate without too much fuss and gave her some more treats. But again at 7am she was howling and had messed her bed again.

What shall we do?!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: