Talk

Advanced search

Do all dogs like a doggy pal?

(10 Posts)
anchovies Sat 11-Jun-11 02:17:48

Just asking as we are considering re-homing a buddy for our 18 month lab. He isn't too fussed about making friends with dogs though and can be anxious when around, loud dominant dogs. So do all dogs like a friend at home?

MotherJack Sat 11-Jun-11 09:20:46

Some dogs just like to be by themselves. Not saying that's the case for yours as I'm no expert on dog behaviour, but I do know not all dogs like to have pals in the house.

DooinMeCleanin Sat 11-Jun-11 09:24:18

It really depends on your dog. Most dogs would love the company, dogs are very sociable animals, but just like people you will get a few who are grumpy old gits and like to be alone.

If your going to a rescue they will guide you in finding a good match to your lab.

anchovies Sat 11-Jun-11 09:30:42

I have contacted the rescue that we got our lab from and like last time they are keen to find us a good match and suggested we start by having a visit from the lady who did her home check with her young male dogs to see how ours reacts to having them in the house. No idea how this will go but definitely seems like a good starting point!

Just not sure whether a dog's reaction to other dogs (when at the park for example) is representative of how they would feel about a dog at home. If that were the case our dog would definitely not be interested in a friend at home! It's hard because life is easy at the moment, but if our dog would like the company I would be happy to rescue another.

DooinMeCleanin Sat 11-Jun-11 09:34:53

No, it's not representative at all.

minimu1 Sat 11-Jun-11 11:38:49

If life is easy and you and your dog are happy do not get another dog for the sake of your dog. The owner should in all cases be the most entertaining and best thing in the world for all dogs. The owner should be able to provide the play, security and company that a dog wants. That is not meaning no dog will ever want to play with other dogs but generally a dog should be content with the owners interaction.

Dogs do not other dogs to live with to be happy - if it will make your life harder you are stressed or have less time with your dog then it is a worst situation not a better one.

Go to a dog club meet a few people with dogs walk with them once or twice a week , and your dog has the company and not extra hassle for you.

minimu1 Sat 11-Jun-11 11:39:16

Dogs do not have to have other dogs

MotherJack Sat 11-Jun-11 13:00:11

Hi Minimu. Can I just ask whilst you are here - I posted a while back asking if a doggy mate could help alleviate anxiety. Could you give me your thoughts on it please?

Sorry for the hijack Anchovies.

KeepErLit Sat 11-Jun-11 13:14:50

I have two dogs but either would be happy as an only dog. They live together just fine but don't need the company of the other one at all and rarely are even in the same room together at the same time. Both prefer human company to that of the other dog/any other dog.

minimu1 Sat 11-Jun-11 13:21:26

Hi Motherjack I'll go and find the thread

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now