Talk

Advanced search

I don' think I am ever going to find a rescue dog because I don't seem to meet any criteria!!!

(69 Posts)
2T2T Fri 10-Jun-11 19:34:16

How hard is it owing a puppy?????

melliebobs Fri 10-Jun-11 19:48:43

It's hard work and i had dh to help out! I was constantly knackered! Mainly cos he woke up at 6:15 every day and decided that was the time to get up cos he needed the toilet! Thank got at about 7 months he started to learn to hold on to a more sociable hour! Then there's just the mentally draining stuff, clearing up mess, throwing him outside if helookslike he is about to go, stopping him eating things, destroying things, him going mental cos he wasn't allowed out til week 14. Well worth it!

Suncottage Fri 10-Jun-11 19:52:04

order this book or something like it before getting a puppy if you decide to go ahead make sure you attend puppy training classes and are mentally, physically and emotionally prepared for it.

It is not a toy to be handed back if you find it 'too' much.

silentcatastrophe Fri 10-Jun-11 19:57:39

If you do your research you shouldn't find it too hard. Puppies are very sweet but frankly you may well have a few months of puppy bliss, a year of junior dog hell, and then, maybe you will have a sensible dog. Hell is having no recall, barking, chewing (not just shoes, it can be the walls and the furniture and the stairs....). It can be difficult when you are not a dog and you don't get it. Lots of dogs get rehomed at about 12 months because it is hard work. If you are committed, go for it. It's also worth remembering other people. And the Law. It is not a commitment to be taken lightly. Please think of all the second hand dogs who would not be there had people remembered that.

It's not hard if you have the time and the commitment. If only people thought more thoroughly about having children!

Scuttlebutter Fri 10-Jun-11 19:57:41

Hi,

Have you been specifically rejected by a particular rescue? If you don't mind us asking, what have/could you be rejected for? For instance if you work full time, most responsible breeders would not sell you a pup. Loads of rescue peeps on here who can suggest rescues if your circumstances are unusual.

Suncottage Fri 10-Jun-11 20:14:52

there are dogs like Max who cannot find a home despite being the sweetest dog that just wants love, but he is not a puppy

Soft spot for Max and bumping for him, he is too old and no one wants him.

The home tests are tough. I agree but there is a reason for it.

Scuttlebutter Fri 10-Jun-11 20:27:19

Generally, homechecks are thorough but I wouldn't use the word "tough". Homecheckers will be looking at the basics - is the garden secure? If the property is rented, does the landlord agree to a pet being present? How many children? Other pets/animals? Does the adopter understand the commitment involved? What, if any previous experiences with animals/dogs? Are there allergy issues? How many adults and are they all signed up/fully committed? Does the adopter understand the financial commitment? What are their expectations? How much time can they realistically commit to exercise and training and grooming (latter v important for some breeds, not so much for greyhounds grin)? Working hours/patterns?

Quite honestly, all these are questions that anyone buying or considering a pup should be thinking about anyway.

2T2T Fri 10-Jun-11 20:29:33

i have not been rejected as such, but I do want a smaller breed (was originally leaning towards lab/retriever but have broadened my scope since 'chatting' on here) and it has to be cat and small child compatible so that rules out 90% of dogs! There seem to be quite a few smaller breeds who are ex breeding dogs sad but they need to be rehomed with another dog whch rules us out. I have not planned on rehoming until after September b ut just doing my research and it is far more difficult than I had originally thought it would be. I have time on my side and don't want to rush but am just starting to get the impression taht it is giong to be difficult to get a dog who the rescue centres deem appropriate for my family.

passivelyaggresive Fri 10-Jun-11 20:29:59

arrrghgghhh, why did i look at that link!! i want them all!!!

2T2T Fri 10-Jun-11 20:31:57

Suncottage - Max no good for me as we have children and a resident cat. He does look lovely though adn his age would not put me off at all, as long as a dog is healthy and lively enough for walks and playtimes..........

2T2T Fri 10-Jun-11 20:33:58

there is not one dog on there who would be homed here as we do not fit the criteria for any of them!!!!!

passivelyaggresive Fri 10-Jun-11 20:35:06

have you looked at battersea website?

passivelyaggresive Fri 10-Jun-11 20:35:26

how old are your children?

DooinMeCleanin Fri 10-Jun-11 20:38:15

Have you tried putting your criteria into dogsblog? They list dogs from loads of rescues.

Scuttlebutter Fri 10-Jun-11 20:38:27

OK, well tell us rescue peeps the story then. It has to be cat friendly, how many DC and what ages? And roughly where in the UK? And small breed preferred, and dog will be only dog? We like a challenge grin

Scuttlebutter Fri 10-Jun-11 20:42:53

I've just been on to the Dogs Trust website, and there is a handy search tool letting you tick for Small Dog, cat friendly and child friendly. I typed these in and there are some adorably fluffy little Chihuahua puppies, thus meeting your criteria by being both pups and rescues, plus a 7 year old Yorkie bitch. smile

2T2T Fri 10-Jun-11 20:57:38

scuttle - you are certainly on the case!!! I am single, chldren are stroppy teenager which doesn't pose a problem with rescue centres and a soon to be five year old. My two nephews visit regularly and are 18mths and 8 yrs. We have a grumpy adult cat and no other dogs. I have a fully enclosed back garden and live by the seaside. I am not planning on returning to work until 2012 and then it will be part time. Where are hte chihuahua pups? I see that Dogs Trust do 'Reserve' dogs. how long do they reserve them for? don;t know much about chihuahua's - maybe a bit too small - now who's being picky! [grinl]
Doin - I do not drive on motorways so cannot go too far out which rules out viewing dogs too far away!

passivelyaggresive Fri 10-Jun-11 21:14:01

i think you should be fine for getting a dog from battersea then, they tend to only rehome to people with children over 8. Visiting children is easy to get around, you crate train the dog or put it in the garden during visits. I have had rotweillers, jack russel and chihuahua - my JR is a little bugger, my chihuahua was fine, but my uncle had them and they can be little feckers. I would maybe look for a JRT size dog if im honest. Think your stroppy teenager would get more from a JRT than a chihuahua

BitOfFun Fri 10-Jun-11 21:17:59

Maybe here? Cavvies tend to be cat and child-friendly.

SherlockMoans Fri 10-Jun-11 21:22:49

Hi joined from the other thread as suggested grin

If you are by the sea and considering Battersea I assume you are in the South? My brother used pound puppy in Bournemouth and really liked them - the dogs are fostered rather than in a shelter so they get a real FEEL for their characters. They seem to update the list really regularly
here

Also what do you mean by "puppy" - i'm happy to consider anything under 2 years but like I said i'm still being made to feel like a crack dealer trying to adopt a baby!

2T2T Fri 10-Jun-11 21:26:42

passivelyaggressive but my son is not yet 5 (very soon though) and wouldn't be rehoming until Sept/Oct at earliest anyway. so battersea wouldn't let me have one would htey? Have not really considered Jack Russels. My brother has one and it is soooo yappy and manic. I know they are all different but it has put me off a bit
Bitoffun CAvaliers are meant to be lovely. Will take a look thanks smile

2T2T Fri 10-Jun-11 21:29:01

hi Sherlock! I am actually looking for an adult dog. Any age considered. It's just that I am feeling like I will never find one - I would have a puppy but would really prefer to rehome as there are so many dogs looking fora new life, it breaks my heart!

BitOfFun Fri 10-Jun-11 21:29:54

Meant to be? They ARE. Fact grin

see gratuitous puppy pic...

SherlockMoans Fri 10-Jun-11 21:34:15

There are so many lovely older dogs about - only just convinced DH to have another - he has put the age (under 2) restriction on because he "cant go through putting down another one" I know I happens but hopfully its less likely to be a short ownership of the dog is younger

SherlockMoans Fri 10-Jun-11 21:36:44

Theres a lovely little terrier on Pound Puppy but I would imagine they dont get on well with cats? Dont know much about them!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now