Talk

Advanced search

Poo!

(10 Posts)
Happymm Fri 10-Jun-11 12:53:08

Morning campers!

Yet another question...

9wk old Labrador, doing very well with house training, thanks to it being warm and patio doors open. She has free reign to the kitchen diner, utility where her crate is and the garden. So, often now, she is taking her self outside to do her business if I'm busy elsewhere in houseetc.

The problem I have now,is that she obviously poos exactly where she fancies! Not too great as have to keep checking where it is. How do you get them to go where you want them too. I tried taking her out with her lead on, but that was a big failure.

Any thoughts? Thanks,x

ItsMeAndMyPuppyNow Fri 10-Jun-11 17:52:48

If you're able to catch her pooing next time, and it seems an acceptable place, give her lots of praise and maybe a treat when she's done. She will be more likely to go to the same place again, once you indicated that you were pleased she did it there.

Otherwise, just wait? 9 weeks is very young. Dogs are creatures of routine, and she may settle on her own favourite poo spot herself with a little bit more time.

MotherJack Fri 10-Jun-11 18:00:41

You have to put in the time I'm afraid! When she poos where you want her to, immediately praise and treat her. Simple as that, but you have to be there and the praise has to be immediate, so you have to go out with her smile

Scuttlebutter Fri 10-Jun-11 19:39:48

Interestingly, we've found over time that our three dogs each have favourite poo spots in the garden, although we've never actually trained them on this issue. Means that poo patrol is very much easier. Very rarely, one will throw in a random poo just to keep us on our toes, so to speak but usually it's nicely differentiated in their special spots. grin

MotherJack Fri 10-Jun-11 20:49:36

I agree with that, Scuttle. Oldlady likes to poo right underneath my DS's swing.... I should really train her to poo in another spot, but quite frankly, I'm just happy she is doing it outside grin

mdoodledoo Fri 10-Jun-11 21:21:01

My dogs naturally limit themselves to one side of the garden. We didn't train them to go that side (too chuffed they were going outside to worry about any further refinement!), they just do. It's enormously useful because the kids know to avoid the side by the hedge if we've not done a 'poo patrol' that day. Hopefully your pup will find a little spot they're happy with, and as long as you clear it up regularly she'll keep on using it. If you don't clear up they'll head somewhere else!

I love all the puppy stories in the MN DogHouse!

Happymm Fri 10-Jun-11 21:36:23

Hopefully she will settle to one area. We have a big garden so poo patrol takes a while, she doesn't even care on surface material. Does it on grass, patio, gravel, flowerbed, herb garden, veg patch...grin

MotherJack Fri 10-Jun-11 23:32:26

If you have a big garden, I bet a pound to a pinch of your thread title that Minimu would suggest restricting access until poo done in appropriate spot, treat handed out in good time and then access opened up to rest of garden. smile

Happymm Sat 11-Jun-11 13:14:36

How do you restrict access? Do I need to have her on the lead more? I'd like her to do it on the patio really, as on the gravel is a nightmare to get up!

MotherJack Sun 12-Jun-11 00:20:02

I'm not sure what a proper dog behaviourist such as Minimu1 would suggest tbh. If I were you, I would be cheeky and PM Minimu1 to make her aware of your thread. I'm sure she will help you if you ask her nicely smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: