Talk

Advanced search

Is it safe to use Hypoallergenic dog shampoo on a puppy?

(7 Posts)
missymoola Thu 09-Jun-11 14:22:57

Our resident dog has a skin condition (allergic to dust mites, plucks his fur out and nibbled constantly. Now on tablets, much better.) We use a hypoallergenic dog shampoo on him every month which is 'extra mild'. We then use a coat conditioning spray on his back (fur no longer grows very long on his legs where he can reach - poor thing).

We are getting a puppy in four weeks time. At the moment she is bathed in baby shampoo one a week or so as needed.

We never bathed our resident dog as a puppy, and since needing it since his allergy he hates it. HATES it, tries jumping out of the bath, I end up soaked with scratches all over, looks very sorry for himself.

When we get our pup
1.How often should we bathe her?
2.Is if okay to use the hypoallergenic shampoo on her, or do we need to get a proper puppy shampoo?
3. As she gets older, should we bathe them both the same amount, are they like children that should be treated 100% the same even if she doesn't need it?

Thanks!

DooinMeCleanin Thu 09-Jun-11 14:26:45

I don't really bath my dogs unless they really need it. Whippy has only ever been bathed once.

Devil Dog, like yours has a skin complaint and needs bathing every now again, with his mediacted shampoo.

I'm sure I've read somewhere that really shouldn't bath puppies as it's bad for their skin. Normal dogs shouldn't really need bathing often, a daily brush should be enough to keep them clean.

Happymm Thu 09-Jun-11 18:46:47

We've only had our pup for a week and she's had 2baths. Used specific puppy shampoo though. And we had to bath her-she's a digger, and keeps digging and rolling in mud, and also found some fox poo to roll in, in our wild life garden grin

chickchickchicken Thu 09-Jun-11 18:54:59

a week shock she could have given you time to adjust to the general dog mess before rolling in the dreaded stinky fox poo grin

chickchickchicken Thu 09-Jun-11 18:57:58

i dont shower mine often either. they are furminated regularly and that is enough. unless of course been rolling in faeces or corpses eerghh

ellangirl Thu 09-Jun-11 21:20:37

I haven't washed my pup, at least not properly. When she got really mucky I just used warm water in a bucket in the garden, nothing else. The older dog hasn't been bathed for years, and she doesn't smell! Just gets rinsed occasionally with warm water if she's been in the sea.

Lizcat Fri 10-Jun-11 12:06:36

Shampooing a dog with normal skin too often can lead to dry flaky skin as it strips the natural oils from the skin. I wonder if your are using Douxo or Episoothe on your allergic dog in which case for the occasional bath on other dogs are fine.
Mobile mop my own roller in disgusting things gets rinsed off with plain water if he is too high to live with and only has a bath when he takes a trip to the poodle parlour where the groomer uses Douxo on him.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now