Talk

Advanced search

Alternatives to kennels?

(8 Posts)
MadamMemoo Thu 09-Jun-11 11:38:15

I need to find somebody to look after my dig for a couple of weeks in the summer. I am really really reluctant to put her in kennels and I wondered if anyone knew of any alternatives? I once read on hear about a company who places dogs with families but can't remember the name of the company. Any ideas?

MadamMemoo Thu 09-Jun-11 11:39:02

Sorry for all the typos I do of course mean 'dog' and 'here'

bumpybecky Thu 09-Jun-11 11:46:15

well there's my house smile I'd love to start home boarding!

where are you?

WoodRose Thu 09-Jun-11 11:52:34

We have used Animal Aunties in the past. Your pet can live with one of their home boarders or they have people who will come and house sit. Our dogs loved their farm holidays! grin

Also, check with your vet and local pet shop. They often have cards up advertising home boarding. This year we are going abroad without the dogs. They will be staying with a very nice couple who live near to us. They are dog walkers and we found out about him via the school gate!

MadamMemoo Thu 09-Jun-11 11:55:34

We're in Cheshire Becky.

I will have a look in the vets and the local pet shop too.

bumpybecky Thu 09-Jun-11 14:37:38

bit far from me then (Beds / Bucks border) sad

hope you find someone. Local recommendation seems like a good idea. The one time we couldn't leave our dog with PIL we found someone through PIL's church who home boarded. They were fabulous, the dog got excited when ever we bumped into them even years later! smile

TheFlyingOnion Thu 09-Jun-11 20:01:42

My dog stays with my dog walker (about 15 miles from Chester, into Wales). She's absolutely brilliant and if you are in the area pm me for her number...

Madsometimes Thu 09-Jun-11 22:54:42

I use a home boarder for mini breaks. For our main summer holiday we use a professional house sitter got through an agency. Our dog prefers this because he gets to stay at home, and the chickens are well cared for too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now