Talk

Advanced search

Mistakes I have made with my dog, and yours too!

(32 Posts)
K9999 Wed 08-Jun-11 22:41:28

A lighthearted thread please, please!

Thanks to you lot I nearly fogrot to feed my poor dogs tonight. <<rolls eyes>>

I also managed to leave my uncompaining, never barking old big boy out in the rain for 15 minutes having let the dogs out for a 'quick' pee in the garden. I thought I'd counted them in. I was wrong.

And I recently absent-mindedly gave medication to the wrong dog. Cue hugely agitated call to my vet who fortunately reassured me that medicated dog was on a very low theraputic dose and that as wrongly medicated dog is a big one it would do no harm.

Note to self: Don't multi-task. It doesn't work in your favour.

chickchickchicken Wed 08-Jun-11 22:48:19

i have gone out to the car not realising one of the dogs have followed me and left them locked outside. have done this quite a few times

Mamaz0n Wed 08-Jun-11 22:49:33

I fed the dog cat food the other day.

greedy lump still ate it all though

I allowed DD to take smalldog into her bedroom for one night and one night only when she had broken her leg to comfort her on the condition that he slept in his basket at the foot of the bed.

hmm

I am not going to own up that he now sleeps in the damn bed with her with his head on the fucking pillow and the duvet over him and she hugs him all night

Happymm Wed 08-Jun-11 22:57:45

Tee hee hee, am thinking I have all this joy to come--but not the sleeping in the bed thing-- grin

chickchickchicken Wed 08-Jun-11 23:03:50

grin we let our dog sleep on son's bed 13 years ago when he was poorly. she still sleep there. and she has mastered the head on the pillow, body under the duvet position

chickchickchicken Wed 08-Jun-11 23:06:52

one of my dogs is a bit scared of the chickens. i have accidentally locked him in the chicken run, come in the house and looked through the kitchen window to see a pitiful face looking at me through the wire fencing blush

Awh poor dog - grin at the pitiful face looking at you - bet you felt like you'd put him in jail or something

And glad I am not the only nutter with a dog who sleeps in the bed wink

chickchickchicken Wed 08-Jun-11 23:09:38

yes i rushed out and said sorry to him released him

yep am a nutter, only worse than you as i now have three dogs who sleep upstairs

Hee hee DP is worse, he has 4 dogs and they all like to come in in the morning and wake him up. I roll over to go back to sleep and one of the boxers stays in bed with me while the other three go with him. grin

K9999 Wed 08-Jun-11 23:21:55

Dog in human bed syndrome is normal.

Erm... isn't it? grin

grin yes I think it must be

herladyship Wed 08-Jun-11 23:27:50

I put our pup in his crate in the boot of the car when he was only a few weeks old, i wasn't concentrating and the crate door had swung shut blush so he ended up being with his nose squashed against it!

dd made me feel so much better by saying 'careful, you could have killed him'!!

mdoodledoo Wed 08-Jun-11 23:33:00

DP and I agreed that we'd not feed the dogs any treats from our own food plates - EVER. This is fine by me because I don't want 'beggie' dogs any more than he does - but it's REALLY hard sometimes because they're so cute.

So - the other day I was eating my breakfast toast outside in the garden and one of my dogs wandered past - in a sunny morning moment of forgetting consistent behaviour I thought 'what's the harm' and threw him a little piece of crust.

The daft beast wasn't used to being fed like this and just looked at it for a while, rolled it around a bit and then finally decided it was probably edible and started to slowly chew - by the time he'd done all that my DP had wandered out into the garden - ARRRGGGHHH! He accusingly looked at me and said crossly - 'but you promised!' - to which I replied pathetically...'it fell'!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I owned up the truth a few minutes later and was, frankly, more mortified about my daft childish lie than giving the dog the crust in the first place - what am I - 5 yrs old???!!! The silly dog didn't help my cause at all by being the worst kind of beggie dog for the next few days - DAMN IT!

I left the dog treats in the kitchen drawers. Second drawer up from the bottom. Which was fine until smalldog learned how to open the drawer.

oh the shit was everywhere

wildfig Wed 08-Jun-11 23:37:16

i forgot to close my big dog's crate one night last month after absent-mindedly handing her her night time Bonio, and tidying round before heading upstairs myself.

Half an hour later, I heard a spooky creaking outside my room, then the door sloooowly opened. I was lying in bed, rigid with fear and convinced that I was having a Most Haunted moment... until a pair of massive paws appeared on the bed next to me, and five stones of hound tried to sneak under the duvet. hmm

Wildfig - I would have crapped myself. Seriously I would have been terrified.
grin

chickchickchicken Wed 08-Jun-11 23:41:20

wildfig - that is very funny grin scary for you but funny for us reading it!

K9999 Wed 08-Jun-11 23:42:47

Ah, wildfig, the moral is to let your dog sleep in your bedroom.That way you feell protected and you know that the noise you hear downstairs is not your mutt opening drawers and stealing treats or practising her three legged walk at midnight!

wildfig Wed 08-Jun-11 23:52:54

grin in a weird way it was quite reassuring, as a few weeks earlier I'd come downstairs one morning and found her mysteriously liberated from her crate and asleep on the sofa, with the puppy glaring from behind the bars of his own crate. I had a total cold flush, wondering who'd let her out.

Now I know there's no ghost in my spooky old house, just a dozy owner.

Or is there? [Twilight Zone emoticon]

MotherJack Thu 09-Jun-11 08:17:48

I made the mistake of assuming OldLady was not a swimmer, like my previous stafford. Whilst on holiday over Easter, she cocked a deaf'un and swam the width of a river to go and play with a black labrador. Whoops!

DooinMeCleanin Thu 09-Jun-11 08:24:50

My biggest mistake would be over estimating myself and believing that I was experienced enough to pick a 'good' dog from the pound and train any behavioural issues that arose all by myself. Anyone who has read about the Devil Dog knows the opposite happened hmm. It was the best mistake I have ever made though and I wouldn't be without him. I wouldn't do it again though.

We (well dd1 and DH) trained Whippy to walk on three legs by mistake. She hurt her leg and limped when it was tired. Of course everytime she limped she got picked up and carried and hand fed chicken. This is how we train her. She does something we like, we feed her chicken. It didn't take her long to start believing we must want her to walk on three legs hmm

DooinMeCleanin Thu 09-Jun-11 08:29:35

Oh and there was the 'Bog Of Doom' incident last summer. I took the dds on a picnic and thought it would be nice to take Devil Dog. I was dressed in my very white, handmade (we bought it from a very small shop in Turkey) Maxi dress. Of course this wouldn't be a problem. It hadn't rained for weeks. There would be no mud. I was wrong. Dog found The Bog of Doom. Oh how he loved the Bog of Doom. I spent about ten minutes holding his lead at arms length to prevent my lovely dress being covered in mud, before he hook himself and splattered me with boggy mud anyway, then I gave up and accepted that before the end of the walk I would look like a reject from the cast of Swamp Thing.

BrigitBigKnickers Thu 09-Jun-11 08:37:27

I once left my dog tied up outside the school. Didn't always take him with me but he needed a walk.

After school It was tipping it down so we ran home (not far) and it was about 10 mins later I had the strange feeling I had forgotten something and at that precise moment one of the DDs friends who lived opposite the school rang me to ask if I was missing something! blush

Ran back to the school gates to find said dog drenched and looking very sorry for himself.

Elibean Thu 09-Jun-11 12:56:28

I forgot to shut the spare room door when I was at work once, and my then-young woofer managed to shut himself in. Presumably in a panic, he then peed all over the place, including my ancient record collection...we're talking vinyl here...which I eventually discovered months later covered in a film of waxy, stinky pee blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now