Talk

Advanced search

Giving a puppy bones to chew - what sort?

(27 Posts)
Kingsroadie Wed 08-Jun-11 16:05:59

Me again, again, again again - you get the picture! So the pup has lots of nylabones, nylabone keys, a rope toy, other soft toys but isn't overly keen on chewing them for longer than about 20 seconds (if that). I gave him one of those mini rawhide bones with a bit of dried meat twisted in with it and he loved it. However I have since been advised that rawhide should not be given to puppies (or any dog? Am not sure) so I won't be doing that again!

Any one got any suggestions on things their dogs like to chew? (Apart from any of my daughter's toys, our shoes, clothes etc - basically anything he isn't allowed to chew). Can I feed him bones from the butcher? If so, what sort and do they need to be boiled first?

Also - ignorant question - presumably pig and cow ears are rawhide and therefore also to be avoided?

Thank you for the millionth time - the eternally grateful kingsroadie...

Happymm Wed 08-Jun-11 16:19:57

Don't know Kings but will hang around to see responses!smile

smartyparts Wed 08-Jun-11 16:22:21

I would err on the side of caution and not give any bones, but my bil gives his dogs raw chicken bones and swears by it.

My mum once gave my older dog a bone. A bit got stuck in her throat and it cost me £750 to have it removed.

Our pup is the same age as yours OP, he's currently chewing Spiderman!

Kingsroadie Wed 08-Jun-11 16:25:55

Thanks Smartypants - Oh god that doesn't sound great! Yes he chews lots of her toys - not quite sure why they are so much better than his - just sod's law I guess - always the way...

Happy - we actually live on here these day - fancy meeting you here..

I have just ordered some stagbars which I vaguely recall someone having recommended - perhaps Slubber?! They sound quite good so I will see if those work any better.

smartyparts Wed 08-Jun-11 16:29:31

What type of dog is he Kingsroadie?

Ours is a miniature schnauzer. He had his first little walk yesterday where I discovered he's going to be a roller in/eater of cow pats & horse manure - great!

Kingsroadie Wed 08-Jun-11 16:54:12

Choc cockapoo. I always get a bit embarrassed about his heritage as I know lots of people think they are either "new-fangled nonsense" or "mongrels" (which they are). He works for us as we wanted a dog who will be able to come rough or driven shooting should we desire him too but we have two indoor cats who moult like MAD all year round and weren't too keen on another high moulting dog. Hoping he might be at least low moulting. But mostly because we liked the characteristics of poodles and love cockers. He has shown himself to be fairly clever already, learning sit on his first afternoon and doing it to command the next day. He has also learnt down, off and stay (btw this may be entirely normal and I am quite possibly being pfb about him! grin).

We are still housebound for another just under two weeks. His next set of jabs are tuesday and apparently we should wait another week after that... Hmm bit of a pain re the cow pats and horse manure - one of the advantages of London are that there any many of those to be found! But the country is fab for dogs.

cedmonds Wed 08-Jun-11 17:21:27

Hi will give all our puppies we breed and sell cow toes they last for ever they cant get little bits of and they love them. When they are a bit bigger they have pig ears and noses but we get the white one which have been treated so they are less likely to give them an upset tummy. We get ours from the dog shows but i have seen them in pet shops etc as well.

Happymm Wed 08-Jun-11 17:41:42

We have a 9wk old lab just chewing on iggle piggle, but that'll serve the little bugger right with his boat!

Glad to have a friend on here Kings smile

Kingsroadie Wed 08-Jun-11 17:43:37

Happy - mine is chewing on a tombliboo which came with the magazine! They obviously have a penchant for In the Night Garden.

Me too!

hephaestus Wed 08-Jun-11 17:55:18

Raw bones from the butcher are fine (including raw chicken on the bone) but never, ever feed a cooked bone of any kind. Pig and cow ears are also fine but the smelly smoked kind can result in upset tummies - again, better to give them raw if your butcher will oblige!

None of mine had much interest in the Stagbars but I've heard good things from other people.

Also, dried tripe sticks. Though they do smell like the devil's arsehole. grin

Kingsroadie Wed 08-Jun-11 18:09:56

Thanks Hephaestus - I will go to the butcher tmrw and see if he has any. Can you buy a few and freeze them?

Yes was looking at dried tripe - thanks for warning me them smell like bum. a little off-putting!

Happymm Wed 08-Jun-11 18:35:06

My main problem is that I tend to wear a lot of maxi skirts/dresses, which puppy obviously considers fair game as I walk along, often have pup hanging off me smile

smartyparts Wed 08-Jun-11 18:50:24

Kingsroadie - I love Cockapoos - they're gorgeous.

I also didn't want a moulter and schnauzers don't. We have got an ancient Westie, another non-moulting breed - although she's losing continence sad.

Happymm - our pup does the same; very partial to a maxi!

hephaestus Wed 08-Jun-11 19:08:47

Yes you can freeze them, I have a chest freezer full of random animal bits. grin I just defrost them under the hot tap if I forget to get them out the night before.

You can also feed various things still frozen, great when they are teething, mine liked a frozen lamb's heart to gnaw on. <boak>

Kingsroadie Wed 08-Jun-11 19:09:13

Me too Happy - I have stopped wearing any long dresses/ skirts since we brought him home as it just made everything very stressful. I miss them though and look forward to wearing them again soon!

Thanks smarty - I love Westies too. Poor thing and poor you - very sad.

ellangirl Wed 08-Jun-11 21:18:17

A stuffed puppy kong will amuse mine (14 weeks) for about 20 minutes, which isn't bad in my book. I have given her a couple of pigs ears (under supervision) and she hasn't shown any undesirable side effects. Wouldn't do it too often though as they seriously stink and can't be great for them!

Kingsroadie Wed 08-Jun-11 21:39:56

Ellan - lucky you! My bloody dog will lick it, get the stuff right at the top and then ignore - so it takes about 2 mins. He hasn't worked out he has to work hard to get stuff out yet (that or he can't be arsed! grin)

Happymm Wed 08-Jun-11 21:43:07

Am with you there Kings. My bubba can't even be arsed to wiggle the kong around to get bits of kibble out-lazy monkeygrin

clam Wed 08-Jun-11 21:43:20

Right, kingsroadie. That's you off my Christmas card list now. There was me thinking our puppies were near soul-mates and then you casually boast drop in that yours can sit and stay and do all sorts of showy-offy things whilst mine just chews shoes, licks toenails and pees everywhere.

<<cries>>

ellangirl Wed 08-Jun-11 22:01:31

Try putting bits of cheese and peanut butter in with the kibble when you stuff the kong, and then putting it in the microwave for a few secs. I also put bits of cooked liver in first so they can smell it and want to get to it! (Yes, I'm nice to my dogs!).

Happymm Wed 08-Jun-11 22:19:03

I put cheese in in her first night,but was also left, and was a warm mess the next day, trying to get it out, yuk yuk yuk!

Kingsroadie Wed 08-Jun-11 23:01:48

Clam - they are soulmates I promise! Mine can't even be arsed to wiggle the kong either. He can sit but stay is a bit dodgy. Down is getting there. It's only because I need to occupy myself and him otherwise he just dstroys the house... and I think I am lucky that he learnt it quickly. Clicker is used. Pleeeeaaase don't throw me off your christmas card list yet - I need a companion to moan at/with grin

Ellan - thanks - I have put some puppy kong paste, then some kibble, more paste and then philly. He will get this tmrw if when he wakes before 7!

Happymm Wed 08-Jun-11 23:04:11

(hurrying and making note to self to purchase peanut butter tomorrow)!

Happymm Wed 08-Jun-11 23:04:43

Oh, and good luck for tonight Kings smile

ellangirl Thu 09-Jun-11 08:13:30

Maybe I just have a very greedy dog!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now