Talk

Advanced search

Spots/marks on my dog's fur - any suggestions?

(4 Posts)
blurdylurdy Wed 08-Jun-11 14:24:00

I have a Weimaraner who has just turned one. You couldn't wish for a better dog, she is absolutely brilliant in every way but there is one thing I was hoping to ask for advice about.

When she was about eight months old, she started to develop these marks on her coat. The best way I can describe them is that, because of the colour of her, they look like rain or water splashes. They are darker than the main coat and run across her back and down her sides a bit.

I had her at the vet one day as she had cut her paw - I mentioned them and the vet said she had no idea what it was, and we should think of a biopsy.

She is up to date with all of her flea and worm treatments, and is in excellent health. I didn't want to take such an invasive route and, from the way the vet was talking, I got the impression that she just didn't know what to suggest so went for that option.

I bumped into our puppy trainer a few weeks later who said that she had seen this before and that it often happened before their first season. Her first season has now been and gone, and the splashes/spots have faded a bit but they are still visible.

She does have slightly dry skin - I can see dandruff type white bits on her coat.

So, my question is this - I'd much rather take a more natural approach to this as it doesn't bother my dog at all. If it's purely cosmetic, it doesn't bother me. But, can anyone suggest perhaps a natural oil remedy which might help?

Thanks very much!

chickchickchicken Wed 08-Jun-11 15:11:36

can i just ask if the marks are on her coat or on her skin?

blurdylurdy Wed 08-Jun-11 15:16:56

They're on her coat - they seem superficial, but they've been there so long now that they can't be actual marks from something if you know what I mean. She has had a wash in the last 4 months!

chickchickchicken Wed 08-Jun-11 15:20:53

sorry, if on her coat i cant think what it could be

hopefully one of the vets will see this and be able to help

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: