Talk

Advanced search

Dog first aid advice needed

(7 Posts)
schilke Mon 06-Jun-11 15:43:16

My dog went for a mad hurdle through the woods earlier and appeared with a bleeding front paw. She has cut the tops of 2 toes on her front right paw. One cut is about 0.75cm and the other one a bit smaller.

She has cleaned them and they have stopped bleeding. The cuts are quite deep. Will they heal on their own? She is limping slightly and a bit subdued. She's our first dog and we've got away with no cuts for 2.5 years!! She does keep on licking at it - is that ok?

d0gFace Mon 06-Jun-11 15:55:27

Did you clean it?

mdoodledoo Mon 06-Jun-11 16:02:30

Do you mean on the top of the toes - like if we cut above our nails? I'm not an expert but these are the questions I'd be asking myself if one of my dogs had what you've described:

1) It all depends on how deep and clean they are really -if they're really deep then stitches may be necessary. She'll be licking to get them clean and help with the pain a bit (something pain relieving in saliva I think).

2) What you've described isn't long so it doesn't feel like a drama from that perspective - but how deep are they and if there's any debris inside - if you can see bone then get her to the vet no question - for a stitch and maybe antibiotics to make sure she doesn't get an infection.

3) Are the cuts on a bit of the paw which is going to be constantly moving and reopening the wounds? Does it need some sort of strapping to keep the skin together as they heal - just for a day or two - and how are you going to keep that on a young dog who'll want to bite it off again?

My boy skidded to a halt on concrete a few weeks ago and wore down his hind claws to the pulp in the middle - it bled loads and looked scary but after a rinse and a good licking by him it was all fine and no ill effects.

schilke Mon 06-Jun-11 16:22:33

I am rubbish at trying to describe things. I did try to clean it, but she has done a better job herself. There are 2 cuts - one on her 2nd toe and one on her 3rd - as she puts her paw flat, the cuts are about halfway down each toe. As you say they are not long, but quite deep. I can't see how it is going to gel together. Every time she moves, the cut pulls apart - doesn't bleed though.

melliebobs Mon 06-Jun-11 19:29:48

my dogs just chewed one of his claws out the silly sod so had to do some doggy first aid this week.

Took him the vets and he got antibiotics and a pin killer

Main thing is to keep it clean! We were told to dip in salty water for a couple of minutes 2 times a day for a week.

As hard as it is stop them licking it. So anti chew spray is fine just spray it around the area and not on it

Scuttlebutter Mon 06-Jun-11 20:03:12

Take your dog to the vet. It will probably need ABs, and the wound should be checked out, particularly if deep.

schilke Mon 06-Jun-11 20:18:14

Thanks. I will take her to the vets tomorrow.

I have put one of my dd's socks on her paw for now. She is quite content with it there and she doesn't lick it so much.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now