Talk

Advanced search

Dog eating poo - help?

(6 Posts)
BCBG Sun 05-Jun-11 11:49:13

we have four dogs and one, a spaniel, has a really severe poo eating habit. We have tried a variety of solutions but the only one that has worked so far has been chopped fresh pineapple in the dogs' feeds! I ran out a couple of days ago and this morning there was no poo to clear up in thhe garden so she is back to her old habits. Does anyone know if there is a simpler pineapple solution? EG would juice work or tinned pineapple work or does it have to be fresh? Any other ideas? We have tried tablets from the vet which were hopeless, and we have a two acre garden so it is extremely difficult to pick up everything before she gets to it!

MoaningMinn Sun 05-Jun-11 12:08:05

We have a Lab bitch like this, always other dogs, not her own. I can't advise on pineapple as we have never tried it but what did work for us was picking it up as soon as its done(which i know may be tricky for you). We have ten dogs, most are kenneled so they have an outside run to be clean in so the poo is nicely contained!! Also switching to a raw diet completely eliminated her want to eat it. There is so little waste, that what is expelled the other end just wasn't appealing, and on the plus side its lovely to pick, dry, small & nearly odourless!!

LetThereBeCupcakes Wed 08-Jun-11 18:22:06

Have you worked out her routine - ie when she eliminates? If so, I think I would put her on her lead for a walk, and as soon as she's done her business you can pick it up.
What food are you giving her? As MoaningMinn says, if you feed a diet that the dog doesn't fully digest, there's more chance they'll eat the feaces.

PinotGrigiosKittens Wed 08-Jun-11 18:46:56

Pineapple was the only thing that worked for us - you have to feed it to all dogs (and quite a lot of it too) as the dog won't be picky which poo it chomps on. Bleurgh.

Batteryhuman Wed 08-Jun-11 18:50:11

Plastic basket muzzle is the solution for us. He still cleans up after my other dog in the garden but at least I know what that dog has eaten, unlike on walks.

Disgusting beast!

BCBG Wed 08-Jun-11 21:51:42

Pineapple is def the only treatment that works! They are fed a working dog complete mix which produces very little waste. Cupcakes, there are four dogs and she will eat any poo in the garden that she can find...we simply aren't always quick enough to collect everything, hence the pineapple. What i would really like to know is if anyone has succeeded with tinned chunks or plain pineapple juice?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: