Talk

Advanced search

Do any of you mumsnetters in the SE want v cheap family dog sitting?

(20 Posts)
hobbgoblin Sat 04-Jun-11 19:53:03

We have done some dog fostering for Enfield dog rescue but the last foster left me feeling a little put upon so we have decided to discontinue. However, we loved having a temporary doggy friend and would love to continue doing so.

My bright idea is to offer dog sitting for family dogs (because we are a family of 4 children) to people we know or virtually 'know' as a bit of doggy opportunity for us, and to help out owners whilst making a teensy bit of pocket money too.

When I say make a bit of pocket money I mean just a few quid for the week and not some big commercial enterprise so I haven't posted this as an ad because that would defeat the point and sentiment.

We are in Hertfordshire if anyone is stuck for holiday cover and perhaps doesn't want to pay a big kennels bill.

WomblingUpsideDown Sat 04-Jun-11 19:58:58

Sounds fantastic, and Enfield is very close too .....

kid Sat 04-Jun-11 21:25:52

Sounds like a good idea to me. I've booked my dog up for home boarding at a cost of £350 for 2 weeks!

hobbgoblin Sat 04-Jun-11 22:29:35

Wow! That is a lot of money!

I once dog sat for a family via a doggy internet forum - they came and met me and the children a few weeks before their planned holiday as we didn't know each other at all, we walked their Springer Spaniel and got to know each other. It worked fantastically in that their lovely dog got home from home treatment and the children and I had a fabulous fortnight enjoying walks and playing with a canine friend. We really missed her!

I didn't ask for payment but they brought me back some Duty Free Pimms grin and insisted I took £50 which suited me beautifully.

I'm looking to do similar again. I wouldn't advertise widely because I don't want a full time commitment to dogs (otherwise we'd have our own!) but also because as I have children I can only offer to do this with dogs that are used to children being around. Dogs that are not used to this would struggle with a busy family environment I think, whereas a family dog would hopefully feel comforted by similar comings and goings of a home with children in it.

Wombling, are you looking for dog sitting? smile

kid Sat 04-Jun-11 22:54:09

Sounds like your family and the springer had a lovely time.
Did I mention that mine is a springer and loves my dc. He loves them so much, he tries to eat their feet every morning grin

Scuttlebutter Sun 05-Jun-11 00:30:21

Hob, some issues to consider. Public liability insurance, vet care sorted out while you are "in loco parentis" so to speak. Can you authorise vet treatment up to a certain level in an emergency? Insurance details? Does taking in such dogs have any impact on your household insurance?

Agreement in advance on liability if dog is lost/goes missing. Agreement in advance as to whether dog comes off lead, and if so, where and how. Who will provide food? Any special feed requirements? Crate? Blankets? Agreement in advance on amount/type of exercise/training.

Local authority licence - in Wales, home boarders are licensed - not sure of exact position in England.

Medication - ensure you have full list, and sufficient supplies to last whole holiday duration.

Children - ensure they are trained to not disturb dog. As they don't have a dog full time in their home, it's really important they understand the behaviour needed and possible consequences if they don't.

Grooming/bathing - will you undertake this while dog is with you? Any special tools/techniques?

If dog is entire, will you guarantee (if female) to return it non-pregnant, if it comes into season while with you? If male, will you cope if it wants to go chasing after any local bitches in season?

Is your garden secure? Have you considered where in the house you willl allow the dog? Stairgate fitted?

Car/travelling - will the dog travel in your car? If so, in what part of the car? Boot or back seat? If back seat, do you have an appropriate safety harness/seat belt? If boot, do you have an appropriate dog guard/crate fitted?

Microchip company - ensure chip company is told of your details while dog is with you for holiday period. Ensure you know local dog wardens contact details and arrangements for strays in your local area.

Madsometimes Sun 05-Jun-11 08:02:41

My dog boards with a family and we are charged £20 per day.

The lady is lovely, and sends regular text messages when we are away, which is a really nice addition to the service.

misdee Sun 05-Jun-11 08:33:03

not looking for dog sitting, but want to get my dog used to trains. is there a good park or anything near you? i am in wgc.

hobbgoblin Sun 05-Jun-11 10:04:53

Misdee, I'll email you - think I still have your e-address, but there is Verulamium Park, Clarence Park and we are near Heartwood forest.

hobbgoblin Sun 05-Jun-11 10:08:40

£20 a day!

Thanks for advice on technicalities scuttlebutter - these are similar considerations to when fostering but obviously a lot of that is covered by their insurance, policies and contract.

I don't think one could cover oneself fully unless doing this commercially and full time so there would be an acceptance of the risks on either side plus a verbal agreement on things like lead walking, vet care, etc.

hobbgoblin Sun 05-Jun-11 12:14:42

It is

OldBagWantsNewBag Sun 05-Jun-11 12:32:47

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Scuttlebutter Sun 05-Jun-11 12:47:12

I would still strongly advise you to consider proper insurance - particularly when considering third parties, as a protection for yourself. Even if you only do it occasionally it is still a commercial transaction. Also, as someone who is a potential client of such businesses, I'd actually ask to see insurance certificates (but that's cos I'm a suspicious, thorough and very risk averse sort of person grin) so would be put off if you couldn't show them.

hobbgoblin Sun 05-Jun-11 12:54:33

I agree re. insurance. The other issues would be a bit of a minefield - even with written contracts - unless legally stamped or somesuch I think.

5 dogs sounds crazy - do you have a large mansion?!

shineoncrazydiam0nd Sun 05-Jun-11 21:29:20

Wish you were in Oxfordshire!

lisad123 Mon 06-Jun-11 14:13:40

I would love you to have my boy smile I have him booked for a weekend in kennels in July but its always nicer to be in a family home. We pay £11.50 for 24hours at our kennels.
My dad needs someone in July for his little dog.

jellybrain Tue 07-Jun-11 13:20:50

Shineon crazydiamond -- We have recently used a lovely home boarding place in Witney. I could give you the details if you're interested.

hobbgoblin Tue 07-Jun-11 13:34:08

We're not planning any holiday apart from perhaps a few days in the UK as yet so PM me if properly interested.

July is good!

We're not so far from Oxfordshire! wink

hobbgoblin Tue 07-Jun-11 13:34:48

lisad - what dog does your dad have? You're not far from me are you?

chickchickchicken Tue 07-Jun-11 18:42:10

we are a multi pet household. neighbour comes in to see to the chickens. we take 2 dogs with us and leave 1 dog with a home carer. we pay £10 per day for this. there is a written contract and i think this is important especially for the carer and especially with regard to medical treatment and walking on/off lead. i would think you could type up a written agreement yourself. the one i signed didnt look like it had been prepared by a solicitor

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: