Talk

Advanced search

12-week old puppy; summer holiday - how far can we go?

(16 Posts)
Merle Sat 04-Jun-11 18:56:10

If we travel by car/train/ferry how far is feasible?

At 12 weeks, are you serious? It's not the travel but the holiday itself that is the problem, a puppy of that age needs to sleep for most of the day, will not be house trained, need to eat at regular times, needs to be correctly socialized.

How on earth are you going to manage all those things on holiday?ll

Happymm Sat 04-Jun-11 20:05:18

We've just had our 8wk old lab. Already had our holiday booked before we even saw her, as actually managed to organise ourselves this year. So we asked our breeders if they'd have her back whilst we were away (will pay them of course). Is this an option for you?

TyNobdieJigz Sat 04-Jun-11 20:06:29

What about her innoculations?

Merle Sat 04-Jun-11 20:17:05

Would have thought that managing a puppy on holiday was easier than during a normal working week.

Not sure about whether all the inoculations would be finished by then.

So no travelling at all?

daisydotandgertie Sat 04-Jun-11 20:22:02

Have you not had a puppy before?

All of what WTWTW says along with deep concern about how much you've thought and research you've put into having a pup and whether you're realistic about the level of care they need at that age.

You don't mean it. Do you?

And hold on. You seem to be planning to continue a normal working week with a tiny puppy. You've booked time off, haven't you? And you're not planning to leave it alone all day, are you?

Merle Sat 04-Jun-11 20:35:38

No we've not had a puppy before, otherwise I wouldn't be asking for advice.

I knew as I typed the words 'normal working week' that conclusions would be jumped to - normal for us, without going into details.

I'm sure I've seen this question all the time on here in relation to babies. Noone ever says 'are you sure you should have a child?' in response to an enquiry about travel to France, for example.

melliebobs Sat 04-Jun-11 20:40:13

if they haven't had all their inculations at 12 weeks you shouldn't be taking them anywhere. Cos they can't go outside, apart from your own back yard.

Just from experience of my dog when he was a pup a holiday would have been a nightmare. He wasn't housetrained, he chewed/puked/pooped on everything, and he needed routine. Especially when it came to bedtime.

Maybe a holiday may be best put off for a few months until he/she is a bit older

TyNobdieJigz Sat 04-Jun-11 20:43:43

Merle, my mums dogs vet said that dogs are fine without innoculations as long as the dont come into contact with other dogs hmm
Technically you shouldnt but flame me if you wish, I would still go, the dog will love it and if pup gets tired, just carry her.
We took Shadow, mums pup out on vets advice, she didnt go near a dog and actually slept for most of it in the bottom of my buggy, in the shopping basket grin She was 8 weeks old then, she def was not tired like that at 12 weeks.
Hope you have fun smile

ellangirl Sat 04-Jun-11 20:47:18

Hi Merle. Quite seriously, I wouldn't go very far at all. You can't safely take the puppy out until a week after the 2nd jabs, usually done at 12 weeks, so that's 13 weeks. The puppy will still be learning to walk on a lead properly, will not be house trained, or anything near, and will be chewing and generally being a pain. Trust me- I have a 14 week old pup just now! The only place we are going this year with the pup is my mum's, it is a long car journey, but at least the pup will be over 4 months old, and my mum's house is already geared up for dogs. I wouldn't be going near holiday accommodation etc.
So, there's my advice for what it's worth!

Merle Sat 04-Jun-11 20:51:22

Thanks for the responses. We haven't got him yet, so no idea how he will be.

We have several options for leaving him with family and probably also the family we are getting him from, but I'd rather have him with us.

I am trying to get an idea of what is reasonably feasible. We haven't booked anything yet.

daisydotandgertie Sat 04-Jun-11 21:15:18

OK - he'll need managing in terms of rest and play and will need cuddles, comfort and control. New puppies are really good at getting themselves into trouble so also need constant supervision. He's unlikely to sleep through the night, but will need to sleep quite a lot during the day.

He will need 2 rounds of jabs with a 2 week gap in between and after the second jab it's likely to be 2 weeks before he is protected and can walk around freely. Sometimes breeders do the first jabs, sometimes they don't. Until then, he can meet other dogs which you know have been vaccinated and can walk around in areas which are unlikely to have seen lots of dog activity. Basically, you're trying to avoid areas which may be contaminated with parvo virus which can kill very quickly and a few other nasties. Until then, he'll need carrying about - and that also means that travelling long distance will cause problems with toileting; you won't be able to stop the car and let him trot about for poo and wee stops which I would find very, very difficult.

Abroad isn't going to be possible because you won't be able to get a pet passport for a pup so young.

Taking a young pup out and about is very important indeed - but they're very easily overwhelmed, so a balance of routine and training is vital. My priority would be getting the pup out for gentle (no more than half an hour or so) familiarisation trips and sorting house training.

fivegomadindorset Sat 04-Jun-11 21:20:40

Puppies are far different to children, without vaccinations/passport you can't take them anywhere. You can't leave them in a car if you want to go out or for a meal. A lot of places will not take puppies. It will not be housetrained so you will have to clean up after it to a very high standard if you don't want to incur cleaning charges.

Merle Sat 04-Jun-11 21:34:49

He is having first set of jabs at 8 weeks, before we get him, then the second set at 10 weeks, with us.

I am thinking now within the UK, at a dog-friendly self-catering place, with washable floors, might be possible. If I had to plod around for a fortnight, looking after him, that would be fine. We were on the Northumbrian coast yesterday, that might work?

midori1999 Sat 04-Jun-11 21:40:58

It's great that you want to inclue your dog in things, but it's really not a good idea to take a 12 week old puppy on holiday.

As has been said, you will not be able to take the puppy out with you anywhere like pubs etc as it will not be toilet trained, or not reliably enough. You obviously cannot leave a dog in a car for any length of time either, especially a puppy, and puppies cannot walk very far at all, so the whole holiday would need to be devoted to spending time with the puppy.

I think if you plan on getting a puppy, you are going to need to either accept that you are going to have to give up your summer holiday or find someone to have the puppy while you go away. However as a breeder, unless someone already had a holiday booked/planned (which it doesn't sound like you do) I wouldn't be happy that they were planning on leaving a 12 week old puppy with someone, even if it was coming back to me. I have kept a puppy until 12 weeks before and that was because the new owners had had a holiday abroad booked for sometime and had also been on my waiting list for sometime and the litter and holiday co-incided. I didn't feel it was at all in a puppy's best interests to move homes and then come back in such a short space of time, so we agreed I'd keep the puppy until their holiday was finished. Maybe this is an option for you?

Merle Sat 04-Jun-11 21:49:02

It could be midori, or else my mum (same street) would have him.

If we did go there would be no meals out at night, sitting inside pubs or leaving in cars. We would just
adapt.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now