Talk

Advanced search

Our soon-to-be new dog needs a new name - HELP!

(14 Posts)
verymuchoutnumbered Fri 03-Jun-11 15:09:43

We are on the verge of rehoming a solid ruby Cavalier King Charles Spaniel bitch. She is 3.5 yrs old and beautiful, BUT.....her name is Cheyenne (pronounced Shy-ann). Hmmmm, not really us, or her for that matter, so I'd like to change it.

I can't think of a suitable shortened version of this? Are there any similar names out there so she doesn't get too confused, or do you think dogs adapt and really go with the inflections of your voice?

I really like Amber, which would also fit with her colour.

Any ideas??

verymuchoutnumbered Fri 03-Jun-11 16:15:14

Sorry, should have also added, is it ok to change a dog's name at this age? I can't imagine spending the next 10 to 15 years calling her by her current name...

ThunderboltKid Fri 03-Jun-11 17:57:31

My mind went blank as soon as I red Amber - I think thats a perfect name for a Cav!

There was a whole thread earlier this week about changing rescue dogs names...here

shineoncrazydiam0nd Fri 03-Jun-11 20:07:47

Oooh. I have a little Cav - almost 5 months old now and a black and tan. Bof has her sister, a little ruby. They are lovely, friendly dogs.

As for names, Amber is very nice. Cheyenne is hideous.

Also like ..

Missy
Leaf
Ruby!

hatwoman Fri 03-Jun-11 20:13:57

i think that with a name as hideous as that it's ok to change. but probably the less you change it the better. How about Diane? It rhymes and the last bit is the same (as is always the way with rhyming words) so I think she'd get used to it very quickly. and it's a nice name. (quite proud of that actually!).

but Amber's nice too.

LordOfTheFlies Fri 03-Jun-11 21:15:37

Chilli? On a Sunday she could be RedHotChilliPepper.
Doesn't sound like it but first too letters are samewink

verymuchoutnumbered Fri 03-Jun-11 22:08:20

Glad I'm not alone in not liking Cheyenne. It's certainly, shall we say, unusual... wink

Amber just popped into my head yesterday and I really like it. But still happy to hear any other ideas.

Thunderboltkid thanks for the link - I'll have a look now.

BitOfFun Sat 04-Jun-11 01:42:02

Amber at least is two syllables- I'm sure she wil get used to the change, especially if you reinforce it with lots of treats. My other favourite is Prudence. But my own ruby Cavvie pup is called Pickle. Ruby Cavs are the most adorable dogs in the world. FACT grin

BitOfFun Sat 04-Jun-11 01:44:36

Oh, and I am a fan of ridiculous name-lengthening combos, like LordOfTheFlies says. Pickle is Pickle Lily. And our first dog is Pepper. Pepper Roni grin

ResurrectionByChocolate Sat 04-Jun-11 19:42:13

How about Shan?

BitOfFun Sat 04-Jun-11 20:22:26

But that means "sneaky and mean" in Northern-speak.

verymuchoutnumbered Mon 06-Jun-11 14:07:46

Now, had a few days away from things and thought of Sian this morning, pronounced Sharn. Hows about it?? At least it begins with Sh and sounds quite classy I think. Although is that the same as Shan?!

Told my parents over the weekend that we are getting a dog and they, whilst at first sounded quite excited for us, are now freaking out with ALL the impracticalities. I received a looooonnnnnggggg email (yes, email with bullet points!!) this morning with all manner of reasons why we shouldn't get one. Three kids, work (I work at home a couple of hours a day at most), how can I walk it and take kids to school (err.....just...walk?), dcs putting hands in poo on the garden (I grew up with dogs from 5yrs old and NEVER did this, not even stepped in it!). Oh. the list goes on....... And they have owned dogs for 30yrs, although not any more.

As I pointed out, this is not something we're rushing into. A lot of thought over months has gone into this and quite frankly I don't want to live my life being over cautious. I'd like to have some fun and enjoyment too! And exercise.

I think of plenty more reasons not to have dcs, but they didn't try to put me off that!! grin Sorry, just had to share....

verymuchoutnumbered Mon 06-Jun-11 14:11:55

BitOfFun - my Grandma had a dog called Pickle! Although she was a really quite aggressive Norfolk Terrier. Can't see your Pickle being like this somehow...! Is yours from the same litter as ShineOnCrazyDiamond? Think we have chatted Cavs on another thread... They are simply GORGEOUS!!

Mine's coming to stay tomorrow for about a week for a trial run. I'm very excited but nervous too. I just want it all to be fine. I'd be lying if I said I didn't have any reservations at all, but they are only for things like her settling in and being happy, and the slight change to our routine. But I guess none of these things is insurmountable (ooo, big word!) so I should just relax....

ResurrectionByChocolate Mon 06-Jun-11 18:07:37

BitOfFun, all the caveats (!)- no pun intended- against getting dogs make me wonder how people ever manage with them, and especially how they managed in the past, when there was less sharing of knowledge and experience. I (think) I would love to have a dog, but it now seems to be an insurmountable obstacle course, even though I'm at home all day. BTW glad you like Sian/Shan.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now