Talk

Advanced search

care/exercising after desexing - any advice?

(6 Posts)
saffronwblue Fri 03-Jun-11 00:41:16

Miss Daisy was desexed yesterday. Took her to the vet in the morning and picked her up at 5.00. All went well. The vet said not to take her for a walk for a whole week, but to let her play in the garden as she normally would - although she should not run or jump.
Daisy is a lab/collie cross and a very high energy pup. ( 7 months old). Last night I put her in the crate and she was very subdued. This morning I let her out and took her into the garden. She immediately ran to find her ball, jumped up some steps and looked like a dog in need of a walk. I took her inside, gave her a Kong which occupied her for a few minutes before she started manically shredding the armchair.
It is going to be a very long week if I can not burn off any of her energy with a nice walk and she seems to be painfree and have no inclination to be quiet. I really understand that her sutures need to mend - I just don't know how we can entertain her and keep her quiet.
Another point which surprised me was the little sad pang I felt at desexing her. I intellectually know about the dreadful oversupply of puppies and all the reasons against breeding and would never have bred from her, but still felt a bit sad on her behalf IFYSWIM.

Joolyjoolyjoo Fri 03-Jun-11 00:55:29

Hi, saffron, I'm a vet so might be able to help a little. I usually say that they can be walked but ON THE LEAD, starting with shorter walks and building up.

gentle walking will do stitches far less harm than leaping around the house, so no chasing frisbees etc, but IMO better to get her out the house and getting gentle exercise than going mad in the house! On the plus side, if she is behaving like this, it shows she is feeling very little in the way of pain, which still amazes me, given what major surgery it seems to be in humans!

Is she on any pain relief? I am a bit of a mean old meany, and tend to give lots of painrelief peri-operatively, then only follow it up if necessary. It sounds harsh, but in animals if they overdo it and feel a twinge of pain, their body tells them to be careful, but if they are loaded up on pain killers they might not get that message (hope that doesn't mean I would leave an animal in pain- far from it, but I try to give it where it's needed only, iyswim!)

Don't feel sad about neutering her. I watch the guilt on the faces of clients whose elderly bitches develop pyometra (a common condition in unspayed bitches) and need an emergency hysterectomy at a time when they are old and very sick. Some of those guys don't even make it to the operating table sad By neutering you have also reduced her chances of developing malignant mammary cancer by about 99%, as well as preventing her from ovarian and uterine cancer! As you can see, she is not overly upset- you have done a good thing for her in terms of her future health, so don't fret!

saffronwblue Fri 03-Jun-11 01:18:16

Thanks you so much Joolyjoolyjoo. Really appreciate your advice( and your being up at this hour) while I am here thinking about Daisy working on a cold Melbourne morning.
The vet said she had given some pain relief which would wear off today which might slow her down a bit.
Thanks for permission to take her for a quiet walk on the lead. I think it will save her and my sanity. It is great that she is so robust but I don't want her going mad (or totally destroying the house as it makes DH grumpy!)

Joolyjoolyjoo Fri 03-Jun-11 01:32:54

No problem! I should be off to bed now, but hope she makes a speedy recovery (and your house remains intact!!)

emptyshell Fri 03-Jun-11 07:29:52

We got told similar - a week or so on the lead (was for a boy so less invasive so to speak - although I'm sure he'd argue differently that waking up and finding yer nuts gone was an invasive proceedure) and then less lunacy than normal for a while.

melliebobs Sat 04-Jun-11 20:50:20

i have a patterdale and he got snipped at 6 months. When i went to pick him up i was told 'make sure he diesn't do any jumping because he has internal stitches and walk him little and often'

So we just did 3-4 10 min walks a day. A pain in the ass but at least it got him out and about

For a little patterdale that lives on the back of the sofa, and used to 60-90 mins walking a day it was a bloomin nightmare and a VERY long 2 weeks. I don't know who was more frustrated me or him!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now