Talk

Advanced search

buster collor 9days afterr castration?

(5 Posts)
misdee Thu 02-Jun-11 22:50:10

Was told by the vets to keep the buster colloe on for 9 days following toms castration. Is it possible to remove it sooner? He has dissolvable stitches?

Bast Fri 03-Jun-11 17:50:39

Sprocker's lasted a day and a half before he was running around with a fractured ring of razor sharp plastic around his neck. He was reasonably safe, no-one in his vicinity was! Needless to say, he's been without since (and doing fine).

Depends on their level of interest in the wound I'd imagine. Sprocker's is minimal and his attention span fairly short, so he's easy to distract if he does start to lick grin

TBH, I've had more trouble trying to keep my bitch from cleaning it than him!

Jaynerae Sat 04-Jun-11 20:47:07

My CKCS was castrated in April. Vets put buster collar on that's was wrong size. I obviously didn't know but he licked sac for ages during the night and made it red raw. He licked it so much he took top layer of skin off, he was in sheer agony, took him back to vets and he had pain killers and gel. Gel just made his fur stick to the sack and pull. His breathing got bad so I took him to emergency vets and they kept him in hospital overnight. That's the short version!

It was an awful painful distressing experience.

I would have done anything for him not to have suffered. Ended up with buster collar on for two weeks.

Don't take any risks, I know buster collar is awful, but trust me, better than what my boy suffered. And I had two of them in collars at same time, other one was mad beagle that didn't seem to acknowledge it's existence! And bowled on through as per normal.

melliebobs Sat 04-Jun-11 20:48:18

buster collars are bloomin uselsess. My dog went through 3 in the 2 weeks he was supposed to have them. And for the last 4 days i gave up. He chewed them and even sussed out how to get out of his last one! For those last 4 days we got an anti chew spray and sprayed it around (not on) the wound to stop him licking

misdee Sat 04-Jun-11 21:17:38

oh i have anti chew spray and IIRC it said it can be used around wounds.

i have to take the collar off for meals as the boys are on raw food diet and he cant grip the bones with his paws and eat properly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now