Talk

Advanced search

How old is a puppy when it reaches its basic adult size?

(16 Posts)
BitOfFun Tue 31-May-11 22:37:41

Perhaps a daft question, but I'm wondering how much bigger my five month Cavvie will get? She is still small and puppyish, but as the smallest of her litter, the vet said she is likely to be quite dainty even for a small breed. She is about the size of a small cat at the moment.

midori1999 Tue 31-May-11 23:17:15

For large breeds they aren't really fully grown until about 2 years old, for smal breeds 12-18 months. Often dogs are almost full height by about 6 months, but continue to grow and fill out for much longer.

IME it's irrelevant if a puppy was smaller or bigger in a litter, if they are well bred and well cared for as pups, they will all turn out roughly the same size as adults. I have what was the biggest girl in my last litter here and she is the same size as her smallest litter sisters as an adult.

BitOfFun Tue 31-May-11 23:32:06

That's interesting- thanks. She is being fed very well on quality food (after I had my mind changed about how important that was on here!), but is still slim and lanky-looking. She is about three kilos now, and was well under a kilo when i got her, so i think she is growing well enough.

NunTheWiser Wed 01-Jun-11 00:28:34

As midori says, my 10 month old lab got to what we think will be her adult height at about 6 or 7 months. She's not getting any taller but she is still filling out and getting that sturdy lab look. Can't help but image your cavvie next to UWD - she hit 26 kilos a couple of weeks ago!

herladyship Wed 01-Jun-11 07:21:43

I don't know the answer but I'm interested to find out! my 5 month old welsh springer x working cocker seems tiny smile

truthisinthewine Wed 01-Jun-11 07:35:43

I have a cavalier. She is about 16 months now. I would say in the last few months she has finally filled out and looks like an adult dog. Up until about a year she was still quite dainty and people would often think she was younger than she was.

truthisinthewine Wed 01-Jun-11 07:38:45

Oh and was 6.5kg at her annual check up about 2 weeks ago.

kid Wed 01-Jun-11 07:59:14

My almost 1 year old springer is huge! He was a big puppy and has continued to get taller and taller. He is still quite slim, not skinny but lean. I am sure he won't grow any taller but I expect him to fill out a bit. Last time he was weighed he was 21kg

SunshineisSorry Wed 01-Jun-11 08:44:10

BitofFun - its not a little brown cavvie is it? Ach, ignore me, cant be, could it?

shineoncrazydiam0nd Wed 01-Jun-11 19:17:58

My Cav is still under 3 kilos - she is the sister of Bof's and I was wondering this too...

BitOfFun Wed 01-Jun-11 19:20:48

It is a liitle ruby, yes, Sunshine. I daresay there are a few of them about grin

SunshineisSorry Wed 01-Jun-11 19:22:25

lol ah no, the woman who i suspect you might be has a chocolate brown one grin that would have been SUCH a co-incidence i would have properly fell over!!

BitOfFun Wed 01-Jun-11 19:31:38

Do they even make them in chocolate brown? grin

shineoncrazydiam0nd Wed 01-Jun-11 20:05:33

No such thing as a chocolate brown Cav.

I'm just amazed that someone thought they recognised a fellow poster in R/L purely based on them saying they have a brown dog grin

SunshineisSorry Wed 01-Jun-11 20:07:23

you want to know what is more amazing shiney - this woman actually has a cocker spanieol puppy, err, ive had a stressful week!! blush

BitOfFun Wed 01-Jun-11 20:27:57

grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now