Talk

Advanced search

I looked after a friend's staffie

(21 Posts)
chickchickchicken Mon 30-May-11 20:31:48

and had a great weekend.

staffie is a rescue dog and she is absolutely lovely. wanted to play with my dogs and very affectionate. not at all possessive over food or toys

friend has two rescue staffies and they are both gorgeous. in our local rescue about 80% of the dogs are staffies. its so sad that this lovely breed gets overlooked when i know they can and do make wonderful pets

MotherJack Mon 30-May-11 20:33:34

People are so rarely able to see past the Daily Wail stereotype, chick - thank you smile

chickchickchicken Mon 30-May-11 20:35:47

MJ - iirc you have a staffie? been trying to work out how to access my profile but forgotten password as have some great pics of her

Lollyheart Mon 30-May-11 20:40:33

Staffies are great dogs, I have a 7th old one, him and the dcs adore each other smile

chickchickchicken Mon 30-May-11 20:43:19

lollyheart - 7th or 7yr old? take my hat off to you if you have 7 dogs grin

2T2T Mon 30-May-11 20:45:02

ha ha chick! 7 dogs shock

MotherJack Mon 30-May-11 20:47:22

I do indeed - she is a little old lady and is truly divine. I had my previous one from a pup - over 12 years ago now. I am in love with the breed as I see them for what they are.... but am also merely hesitating in putting up an ask for an older black labrador from rescue as she loves them... probably lived with one in her past life given her excitement levels when she meets one, bless her heart... and I think a pal would rejuvenate her <sigh>.

Is there not a "forgotten password" option when you go to update your profile??

chickchickchicken Mon 30-May-11 20:48:15

yea think i am mad a soft animal lover to have 3 grin

Lollyheart Mon 30-May-11 20:50:28

A 7 year old lol, 3 soon to be 4 dcs and a dog is enough grin

chickchickchicken Mon 30-May-11 20:52:38

MJ - tried the forgotten password option 2 days ago and still waiting for MNHQ to email me. cant understand it as i have the same password for everything so i dont forget!

how old is your dog? have you seen a mate you think would be suitable? some oldies dont want company but it sounds as if yours might like it?

MotherJack Mon 30-May-11 20:57:52

Have you seen my profile pics and the pic of her big gangly ginger mate? She likes other dogs and loves many of them... she misses Zizzi (ginger gangly thang) when she goes home as she only stays with us intermittently.... and she sure loves black labs. The vet said she was between 8 and 10 about 6 months ago, so I settled on 9, but she seems far older in many ways... but when she meets a black lab she gambols about like a puppy with a huge grin on her face... every single time. I feel guilty for not having one, really confused

chickchickchicken Mon 30-May-11 21:10:26

just looked at profile pics MJ.

Bear, wow what a lovely dog and gorgeous eyes. RIP little one

pic of dogs sharing a bed is very cute. i have a pic of my collie x sleeping in rat's little jrt's bed. only about a third of his body fits in it and right next door is his large empty bed. funny why they do that

i know what you mean about seeming older than their years. friend's staffie is only about 4 but has a lot of grey hair. she has such a lovely temperament but has obviously been mistreated angry

did you foster the 7mth old who was due to be pts? pts at 7mo shock that makes me angry angry what is wrong with people??? a young dog not even being given a chance of life

MotherJack Mon 30-May-11 21:25:46

I did foster her, yes - but it was very short term as she had been fitted up with a forever home before she even arrived at mine - lucky girl!

Rox was evidently very much loved by her previous owner, but everything points to them being old as (to name a few) she has chronic ear problems and had evidently not been walked/not been walked in her last few years... but nonetheless very much loved... and has now shed a fair few kilos and has her ears cleaned and treated regularly... now tackling her breath grin

Bear was beautiful. Miss that boy.

rogersmellyonthetelly Thu 02-Jun-11 17:40:20

staffy fan here, had one as a kid and it never entered my head to have any other breed when we decided to get a dog. I have a 4yo and a 6yo and a 14 week staff puppy and its hard work trying to keep all three of them out of trouble, but well worth it. I love when the kids are watching TV and she sits between them, or drapes herself accross both of them and goes to sleep. They love her to bits and she is a real sweetie.

NewChicken Thu 02-Jun-11 19:43:32

think i should have a pic of the staffie i looked after on my profile now. had to change name as for some reason couldnt access original profile

TheMonster Thu 02-Jun-11 19:45:02

<applauds NewCHicken>
I am a Staffie lover and it is lovely to hear someone say something positive about them.

NewChicken Thu 02-Jun-11 19:45:57

<takes a bow>

grin

GwennieF Thu 02-Jun-11 19:53:18

I had a staffie cross, no longer with us.... RIP Paddy. He was a fantastic dog.
It winds me up no end when people bad mouth them (especially the owners of badly behaved, poorly trained yappy little fuckers dogs who think they will get eaten by the 'thug dog'). [and breathe....]

izzybiz Thu 02-Jun-11 21:37:18

I love this video

Staffies are fab! Mine is on my profile grin

MotherJack Thu 02-Jun-11 22:42:11

Oh hellooooo, NewChicken. Your temporary Staffoo looks glorious curled up in the chair. They are lovely. Some are not great with other dogs, but some are. Whichever way they lean, they more often than not make great pets for considerate and loving owners due to their loving nature.

Sad that some people are not intelligent enough to see past the Daily Wail headlines, but this will always be so in most of our lifetimes and in most campaigns in tabloids against anything and anyone.

NewChicken Thu 02-Jun-11 22:51:58

hi MJ, she is here for another sleepover smile my dogs love it as she is so friendly and easy going. she is snoring her head off sleeping next to me on the sofa. even my oldie tolerates her as its impossible not to like her

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: