Talk

Advanced search

Bringing puppy home

(9 Posts)
Happymm Mon 30-May-11 10:28:17

best in a travel crate or on my lap. Not a long journey, just 30mins if that changes anything!

Some will insist a crate, but personally I always put mine on my lap, I think it is a whole lot less scary, be prepared for puppy to throw up and possibly wee on you. Have a stack of cloths (the ones you should have already for 'accidents' ) next to you, a carrier bag and some baby wipes, should there be sickage, try to catch it in the cloth, put the cloth in the carrier bag, clean up with a baby wipe.

Repeat as neccessary grin.

Also sit puppy on your knee on an old towel.

Having said all the puppy will probably not be sick at all, but it's better to be prepared, my last one managed 12 times in 1 hour 10 minutes.

PurpleFrog Mon 30-May-11 13:38:39

Another vote for lap (assuming you are not driving) - then you can introduce car crate slowly over the next few days/weeks.

Jennytailia Mon 30-May-11 13:48:56

I took my puppy home in it's crate last week, and she poo'd and cried until I had to pull over and put her on my sons lap.

So another vote for lap

multitask Mon 30-May-11 20:03:33

Definately lap for that short journey, our latest pup watched the window wipers until they put her to sleep!

Happymm Mon 30-May-11 20:19:01

Thanks all. Another question, re:night time. Is it best to put her in the crate with door shut and get up at maybe 3 to toilet her, or to leave crate door open with puppy pad outside door (which is what she does at breeders) so I can sleep?grin Or will that slow down house breaking?

Happymm Mon 30-May-11 20:30:12

She's an 8wk old yellow lab BTW smile

multitask Mon 30-May-11 20:41:43

With a new pup we stay up late, maybe 12 or so and set alarm for 6am so night is short and slowly extend the sleeping time over next few weeks so the pup doesn't have long nights very rarely would have an accident. Have never used puppy pads or let puppy out during the night. This method has worked for us with last 3 pups.

Happymm Mon 30-May-11 21:28:00

Thanks multi smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now