Talk

Advanced search

When you take in a rescue dog, can you change its name or would it be unkind?

(53 Posts)
2T2T Sat 28-May-11 22:24:42

Just wondering....................smile

ChippingIn Sat 28-May-11 22:26:26

I think I would feel funny about it - but on the other hand if it was something terrible I'd do it.

The dog wont care smile

Just called it oldname-newname for a few days, giving it a treat when it comes to you and then drop the first bit offering a reward when it comes... job done!

ChippingIn Sat 28-May-11 22:26:54

Have you got a 'match' yet or are you just day-dreaming?

Elibean Sat 28-May-11 22:29:22

I've noticed a fair few in foster care have been given new names....I think I'd adapt an awful one, but keep it sounding a bit like the old one iyswim.

Besides, if my last dog was anything to go by, names morph over time into all sorts....grin

2T2T I am also looking for an older rescue dog come September, will happily daydream with you!

DooinMeCleanin Sat 28-May-11 22:30:31

No-one knew my dogs name as he was found stray. It's possible he could have been called Scruff by his first owner. It certainly suits him. He answers to it.

Tortoise Sat 28-May-11 22:31:40

I changed our dogs name when we got him from a friend. Didn't take him long to respond to it.
Also some dogs in rescue would have been abandoned and the centre wouldn't know their name.

Vallhala Sat 28-May-11 22:34:00

I doubt if it would do much harm. Remember many dogs enter rescue from the stray pound where no-one has any idea of what the bastard who dumped the poor dog called him he was originally called.

I've owned and fostered such dogs myself, with no problems or worries. Current (permanent in all but name!) foster dog was called Nico by his original owner but got nicknamed Fish and it's Fish that stuck.

Maybe go half way and adapt to a similar sounding name, such as Milly instead of Molly?

2T2T Sat 28-May-11 22:36:12

thanks all - my you were quick off the mark! Elibean - I have seen a beautiful Bichon Frise in South London - not a breed I am familiar with but have been keeping a REALLY open mind about breeds following advice on here. I have googled about them and they sound perfect but............ am not really ready yet as I had planned on Sept when my son starts school. Mind you, if the right pooch came along beforehand.....................wink. I jsut know that my children will take such pleasure in choosing a name that I was kind of thinking out loud about it.

2T2T Sat 28-May-11 22:37:23

chippingin - sorry, the bit about getting a match yet was for you. Getting mixed up! x

2T2T Sat 28-May-11 22:38:55

valhalla - lol at 'Fish'! love it grin. Pilchard is quite good too

Vallhala Sat 28-May-11 22:40:05

Have you been looking at Pro Dogs Direct, 2T2T? grin

Carrotsandcelery Sat 28-May-11 22:40:49

We totally changed our dog's name from his original one.

He learned it within about 45 mins grin

He is a collie x though.

Vallhala Sat 28-May-11 22:44:05

It's all very well you laughing, 2T2T. The bloody rescue (friends, bless them), didn't think what a sodding fool I'd sound when they opted for Fish over Nico prior to him moving in with me.

There I am, in this posh village, standing on a footpath. I see a family come towards me so make to put my dog on a lead...

calling... "Fish! FISH! Here Fish!"

Oh yeah, great! grin

2T2T Sat 28-May-11 22:44:11

Valhalla - YES!!!!!!! Did you see O'Reilly smile? There are some beauts there. I was also looking at Dorset too wehre they have a lot of ex breeders sadsadsad, but the advice there seems to be rehome with an existing dog which I don't have.

2T2T Sat 28-May-11 22:44:59

grin Valhalla! I must move to your village grin

2T2T Sat 28-May-11 22:45:41

they probably think you are a rogue trader!

Vallhala Sat 28-May-11 22:48:47

All I can say is that Gladys, who is my contact at Pro Dogs, is a lovely, lovely and very knowledgable lady. Good luck, O'Reilly looks very cute.

One day I will have a small dog, it will be a novelty!

2T2T Sat 28-May-11 22:52:43

Valhalla- I look forward to speaking to her. I won't sleep tonight for excitement!!!

oreocrumbs Sat 28-May-11 22:56:17

We have rescued many dogs across our family and changed all of their names with no problem, all except one. Bambi. A very masculine dog my aunt inherited from a neighbour and there was no changing it. He would only answer to Bambi! (A collie - he should have known better!!)

Carrotsandcelery Sat 28-May-11 23:32:24

oreocrumbs Poor Bambi - and you just disproved my theory about Collie's grin

Carrotsandcelery Sat 28-May-11 23:33:14

Don't know why I stuck that apostrophe in there - and I used to be an English teacher too blush

ChippingIn Sat 28-May-11 23:42:01

Carrots - I think they just pop out by themselves sometimes grin

LordOfTheFlies Sun 29-May-11 00:14:09

Fish is the cool lead singer from Marrillion.(sp)
His real name is Derek.
Can't imagine his mother shouting "Hey Fish,take your shoes off and wash your hands"

Vallhala Sun 29-May-11 00:21:08

Didn't know his real name is Derek! What an anti-climax!

Think I prefer Fish!

LordOfTheFlies Sun 29-May-11 00:33:31

Theres a lovely greyhound on the Retired Greyhound Rescue who has the same name as my DH.
Just as well I can't have a dog because if it came down to a choice....?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: