Talk

Advanced search

Greyhound + cat = doable?

(12 Posts)
emptyshell Sat 28-May-11 18:28:41

Have an email sent enquiring to the RGT... campaign may well be working on hubby that they're not "boring" Just wondering what the odds are of being told to go away and quit kidding myself that I can have one along with a very cantankerous, assertive (will stand her ground and not run) tripod?!

DooinMeCleanin Sat 28-May-11 19:50:00

Plenty of greyhounds live happily with cats. I was asked to consider fostering greys and I have a cat and a Whippet. My dad has two cats, several small furries, a Whippet, a Lurcher and is getting a Saluki to train very shortly. it's just a matter or finding the right Greyhound.

See

Threadworm8 Sat 28-May-11 20:05:44

I can second that. I have a neighbour who has had a couple of greyhounds during his retirement. They are rehomes from the racing industry and he has always specified to the rescue centre that any dog he takes on has to be able to live with a cat. He had one beautiful dog for years that was absolutely fine with their cat. When that dog died, he accepted a dog that he had been assured would be ok with a cat (not sure how the rescue centre tested this, but they seemed confident. Unfortunatly this particular dog was not at all fine with th cat. It was unworkable, and being a reputable rescue they took the dog back. He took on another dog, who is also absolutely fine with the cat (and an exceptionally beautiful and lovely creature).

Vallhala Sat 28-May-11 22:17:01

Yep! Not all are of course but I have had 2 ex-racers in my house who were fine with my cats. One I dog-sat for who was completely uninterested from day one and one a foster dog with a "good" angry racing record who I taught not to chase my cats within a couple of weeks.

His flaming forver Dad has reversed all my good work though! (Will let forever owner off as he is a fantastic owner, but, pah, really!).

LordOfTheFlies Sun 29-May-11 00:17:58

They usually recommend that a cat trainable greyhound could be okay with your cat, but any outsiders are still fairgame thoughgrin

emptyshell Sun 29-May-11 10:35:37

Have sent an email to the local RGT seeing if they think we'd be suitable - no reply as of yet!

kazmus Sun 29-May-11 11:16:55

thank you lord of flies for pointing that out, only last week good friend lost her 14 year old puss to a greyhound that got into her gardensad Cant blame the dog just irresponsible owners but vet said it is always a risky mixture and the dog will sometimes revert to natural behaviour

chickchickchicken Sun 29-May-11 13:06:17

a friend of mine has rehomed rescue greyhounds and she has cats. the rescue organisations are always told she has cats and they recommend dogs accordingly. no reputable rescue wants to have a dog adopted only for it to be returned so will ensure dog is suitable for the home and carry out a cat assessment.

imo after having adult dogs and puppies this is a more reliable way of checking how dog is with cats than raising a puppy with cats but finding out that the puppy has a strong prey drive. her dogs are lovely, gentle giants unlike my terrier and are great with cats and chickens

chickchickchicken Sun 29-May-11 13:08:19

kazmus - thats awful about your friend's cat. poor cat and must have been very upsetting for your friend.

VivaLeBeaver Sun 29-May-11 13:12:14

RGT gave me a cat friendly greyhound. They thought she would be alright with cats and she came to my house for a day's trial to see how she got on.

The dog never batted an eye at the cat, cat went up the chimmney though!!! Intriductions were done with a lead and muzzle on and in an enclosed room so the cat couldn't run. Well that was the idea anyway and its why she went up the chimmney, poor cat.

The dog is still as good as gold, not bothered about other cats, squirrels, guinea pigs, chickens, etc.

emptyshell Sun 29-May-11 14:59:41

Cat has already shown her hidey hole love- when we got her she holed herself up the chimney breast for a week and even Operation Tuna couldn't evict her, then we got the "hidey under the kitchen cupboards" game, and under a cooker... we know only too well the hidey hole thing in this house!

emptyshell Mon 30-May-11 11:35:41

Waiting on a homecheck! (And them to find a suitable doggy/doggette)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: